Faculty & Staff Profiles
Hamilton faculty and staff can use SelectedWorks to create and manage their own profile page that brings together biographical information, publications, learning objects, and other materials they would like to share. Hamilton's faculty & staff profiles are available from the Hamilton Digital Commons.
Consult bepress' SelectedWorks Guide for Authors for an overview of how to use SelectedWorks. Explore the FAQ topics below for more information.
SelectedWorks enables scholars to create an online profile to bring together their biographical information, publications, and teaching materials in one place. It's structured in a way that makes it easy for scholars to manage personal information and upload new content themselves (though Hamilton's research librarians are always happy to help). Features include:
- a biographical profile page for listing current position, research interests, honors, courses, education, and contact information and a link to your current CV
- a selected works page organizing and sharing articles, chapters, presentations, learning objects, images, streaming media files, and more
- an author dashboard for tracking readership
You can create an account by registering at https://works.bepress.com/account/register.
Once you have created your account, it is important that you navigate to the "About" page, click on the edit icon that appears when mousing over the "Positions" section, and complete the following:
- Institution: Enter "Hamilton College".
- Position Type: Choose the appropriate position from the drop-down menu.
- Time Period: Enter the starting date for the position you currently hold.
- Organization: Enter the first few letters of your department or office name and choose from the drop-down menu. If your office name does not appear, you may enter it yourself.
- Position Title: Enter your position title.
- Current Position: Check the box.
- Affiliate my profile with this Institution: Check the box.
SelectedWorks and Digital Commons are both cloud-based platforms developed by bepress (Berkeley Electronic Press) to showcase the scholarly and creative work of scholars at institutions of higher education.
- SelectedWorks focuses on bringing together the work of scholars into personal profile pages.
- Digital Commons focuses on bringing together the output of an entire institution.
- Both SelectedWorks and Digital Commons are configured in a way that makes it possible to share documents and metadata between platforms.
If you want your work to be available on both platforms, you should first submit your work to the Hamilton Digital Commons and then import it into your SelectedWorks profile.
- Works imported from Digital Commons retain all metadata fields that display with the repository record, including custom fields.
- Revisions in Digital Commons automatically appear in SelectedWorks. In contrast, revisions made in SelectedWorks do not automatically appear in the corresponding Digital Commons record.
- Submitting works to Digital Commons and then importing them into SelectedWorks keeps download counts unified.