Configuring Computer for Skype
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper-left-hand corner of the screen, select "System Preferences...";
- Select Security and Privacy;
- Ensure the Padlock in the lower-right-hand corner is unlocked;
- Select the Firewall tab;
- Click the Advanced button;
- Find Skype in the list;
- Choose to Block Incoming Connections for Skype;
- Click OK in the lower-right-hand corner;
- Close System Preferences.
You may now use Skype on your computer. To return to the overview document or find out how to create a high-quality videoconference, please click here.
- Click on the Start button and open the Control Panel;
- Click System and Security;
- Click Windows Firewall;
- Click Advanced Settings, located in the left column;
- Ensure by looking in the upper-left-hand corner of the window that you are in the Inbound Rules section;
- Find Skype in the list (there will be multiple entries);
- Double-click on the first entry;
- Select "Block the Connection;"
- Click Apply;
- Click OK to return to the list--you should now see a "Do Not Enter"-style icon next to the Skype entry, which means your action worked;
- Please do the same for the other Skype entries;
- After you're done, close the Firewall settings and Control Panel.
You may now use Skype on your computer. To return to the overview document or find out how to create a high-quality videoconference, please see the links below.
Last updated: June 8, 2016