Network Printer Installation for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 & 10
Last updated: July 29, 2023
Printing from your own personal computer can be done in one of two ways:
- “Lite” printing via the Web at webprint.hamilton.edu. Use this to print Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or PDF documents. See Web Print Using PaperCut - https://www.hamilton.edu/offices/lits/rc/web-print-using-papercut-1-1 for details.
- Install a printer and the PaperCut client on your computer to print from any application on your computer, using instructions listed below.
Installing the Printer
- Press the
Windows + the letter R keys to open the Run command window.
- Next to Open, enter \\printx. Click OK.
- Enter your Hamilton username and password. Click OK.
- Employees: If this is your personal computer, enter your username in the following format: hamilton-d\username.
- Students: If this is your personal computer, enter your username in the following format: hamilton-s\username.
- In the window that opens, double-click on the desired printer to add it to the list of available printers on your computer.
- The Windows Printer Installation window will appear indicating progress.
Students are currently restricted to the list of public printers below:
|ITS & IC Lab Printers||Model #|
|CJ-Students-A||HP LaserJet Enterprise 600 M601dn|
|KJ-103-A||HP LaserJet 4350|
|KJ-202-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|KJ-204-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|KJ-229-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Levitt-Center-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|List-220-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Science-Center-3019-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Science-Center-3039-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Writing-Center-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Writing-Center-B||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Days-Massolo-A||HP LaserJet 4350|
|Burke-1stFloor-24HR||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Burke-1stFloor-PC||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Burke-1stFloor-Mac||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Burke-2ndFloor-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
|Burke-1stFloor-C||HP Color LaserJet M750|
|QSR-A||HP LaserJet 4350|
|Sadove-A||HP LaserJet P4010 Series|
Installing the PaperCut Client
- The installer is located on the PrintX server. Press the Windows key
+ R key to invoke the Run command window.
- In the Run Window, enter: \\printx\PCClient\win. Click OK.
- In the window that appears, enter your network username (hamilton-s\username) and password.
NOTE : Faculty/Employees: If this is your personal computer, enter your username in the following format: hamilton-d\username followed by the password in the password field.
Students: If this is your personal computer, enter your username in the following format: hamilton-s\username followed by the password in the password field.
- Double-click on the file named client-local-install.exe.
- If a User Account Control Window appears asking, Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?, click Yes.
- Enter your username and password if prompted again.
- In the Setup – PaperCut NG Client Window that appears, click Next.
- Click on I accept the agreement and then click Next.
- In the Select Destination Location Window, click Next.
- In the Select Components Window, click Next.
- In the Ready to Install window, click Install.
- Click Finish.
- Enter your username and password in the same format as in step 3.
Using the PaperCut Client
- Open the application from which you need to print.
- Select Print from the appropriate menu.
- Choose the printer.
- You’ll see the “cost” of your print job. Click Print.
- At any time, you can see how much you’ve printed by clicking on the PaperCut icon in the system tray.
- If you want to see more details, click on Details…
- Enter your username and password. Click on Login.