LITS Resource Center
Last updated: March 27, 2023
Video chats on personal and office computers are usually high quality and sufficient for most purposes.
However, there are high-risk and/or high-value conversations (e.g. job interviews) for which a dedicated, dependable solution for faculty and staff is absolutely necessary. To satisfy this requirement, LITS created four Mobile Videoconferencing Carts in the following locations:
- Burke Library
- Spencer House
- Taylor Science Center
Each cart is equipped with:
- a large LCD screen;
- a high-fidelity videocamera and microphone;
- an LITS-managed computer with Zoom, Skype and Google Hangouts pre-installed;
- all of the necessary peripherals to operate the setup.
Reserving and Using the Cart
Reserving the Cart
- You must reserve a space in Burke Library, the Taylor Science Center, Spencer House, or Kirner-Johnson — the home buildings of each cart — at least seven days prior to the videoconference. While completing your room reservation, be sure to indicate that you intend to videoconference.
- Employees can reserve an LITS Mobile Videoconferencing Cart by contacting Audiovisual Services at 315-859-4120.
- LITS strongly encourages you to test the Mobile Videoconferencing Cart and the service to be used for the call in advance. Ideally, a test call will be performed with the intended remote participant(s), but this may not be feasible. If you perform this test call, LITS can also provide staff support for your actual call if problems arise. Please call the Help Desk at 315-859-4181 to schedule an appointment to perform a test call.
- LITS also recommends you follow the “Create a High-Quality Videoconference Guide” to make your call the highest-possible-quality.