Microsoft Office 2013 Work at Home License for Windows
Last updated: June 7, 2016
License Terms and Conditions
Hamilton College subscribes to the Microsoft Campus Agreement volume licensing program for the Microsoft Office applications used on campus (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). This agreement includes “Work at Home” rights for Office according to the following terms and conditions:
"Faculty and staff who are licensed to use the particular product at school, have the right to run one copy of that product on a home PC that they own or lease for school-related purposes only. (Microsoft Campus and School" v.3.2b, 2004).
Your DVD is good for two installations: the original installation on your home machine and a reinstall if necessary.
Please do not use this DVD to install Microsoft Office on your college-owned computer.
Recommended System Requirements for Office 2013
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86- or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set
Memory: 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit); 2 gigabytes (GB) RAM (64-bit)
Hard Disk: Minimum 3.0 gigabytes (GB) available
Display: Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX10 graphics card
and a 1024 x 576 or higher resolution monitor
Operating System: Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) or Windows 8 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Disk Drive: DVD drive
Note: Office 2013 does not run on the Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows XP or older operating systems.
On the back of the DVD sleeve you will find a 25 character alphanumeric code called a product key, similar to the one shown below. Keep this product key in a safe place, it is a unique code needed to install Office and to verify your license with Microsoft.
Uninstall Old Versions of Office
Before installing Office 2013, you must uninstall any older versions of Microsoft Office currently installed on your computer. If you do not have an older version of Office on your computer, skip ahead to the Install Office 2013 section. If you do have an older version of Office on your computer, uninstall it as follows:
- Open the Control Panel
- Windows 7 - Click on the Start Button, located in the lower left corner of your screen, and choose Control Panel from the menu that appears.
- Windows 8 - Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard plus the letter I. Choose Control Panel from the menu that appears.
- Open Programs and Features.
- After the list of programs populates (this can take a few seconds), scroll down and click on “Microsoft Office ”
- Click Remove or Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to remove Office.
- Reboot after Office is finished uninstalling.
Install Office 2013
The installation process for Office 2013 has been simplified greatly and only requires minimal user interaction.
- Insert the MS Office DVD. Browse to the DVD drive (from Computer) and manually run setup.exe by double clicking on it.
- Windows 7 - Click on the Start Button, located in the lower left corner of your screen, and choose Computer from the menu that appears.
- Windows 8 - Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard plus the letter E.
- Click Yes on the window that pops up (See image).
- Click Next on the following window to start the install process.
- Enter the Product Key (found on the back of the DVD sleeve) and click Continue.
- Office 2013 then brings you to a window where it asks your permission to send crash reports to Microsoft. Choose either one of the options (your preferred choice) and click Accept.
- Click Next to proceed from the page about SkyDrive. The next page lets you select a theme for Office 2013. Select an option (your choice) and click Next to reach the final window.
- Click on All done! to complete the installation process. The following programs are included in the office 2013 installation by default.