Using Blog CFC
Getting Started with Blogs
To see a list of Hamilton College blogs or to request your own blog, go to http://www.hamilton.edu/blogs.
Viewing Blog Entries
- Using a web browser, navigate to the blog's URL.
- If they have been specified, navigate to specific pages by clicking on the links under Navigation at the top right of the page.
- Type keywords into the Search field and click the Search button to find entries that contain that keyword.
- Navigate entries by category by clicking links under the Archives by Subject section.
- Find recent blog entries under the Recent Entries section.
- Find recent comments under the Recent Comments section.
- Subscribe to the blog using the RSS url in the RSS section.
- Look for frequently used words in categories in the Tags section.
Viewing and Adding Comments
To view comments, click on the Comments link on the lower left beneath the blog entry.
To add comments, click the Add Comment link on the lower right of the entry window, enter your name and comments, type in the captcha verification and click the Post button. Remember that comments need to be approved by the blog moderator before they appear on the blog.
Adding Blog Entries
- Navigate to the URL of the blog and add /admin to the end. For example, to add entries to the Workshop Blog, a user would enter workshop.hamiltoncollegeblogs.com/admin and press the Enter or Return key on the keyboard.
- In the options menu on the left side of the page, click on Add Entry.
- Enter a title for the blog.
- Enter the text for the blog. For longer entries, it is recommended that you compose your entry in Microsoft Word and paste the text into Blog CFC.
- Select categories for the blog. Multiple categories can be selected my holding down the Control key (Windows) or the Command key (Mac) while clicking on the desired categories. To create a new category, type it into the new category field.
- To add an attachment, click the Browse button next to the attach file field, navigate to the desired file, and click the Open button. Note that attached images will be displayed at the bottom of your blog entry.
- When you are ready to submit your entry, click on the Save button.
Adding Multiple Images to a Blog Entry
- Before adding any images to your entry, make sure they are 700 or fewer pixels wide. Images from modern digital cameras are far to large to display properly on a blog and increase download time considerably. Use Image - Image Size in Photoshop to resize large photos and save the files as compressed jpg image.
- In the blog entry's body field, place the cursor where you want to put your image and click the Add Image icon.
- Click the Browse Server button. If you haven't done so already, click the Create Directory icon, type in your username as the name of the new folder and click the Create Directory button.
- Click on the link for your newly-created folder and then click on the Upload File(s) button.
- Click on the yellow Upload a file button that appears above the menu bar.
- Navigate to the desired image file and click on the Open button.
- Click on the link for the file you just uploaded
- If necessary, change the width of the image to 700 or fewer pixels.
- Click on the OK button to add the image to your blog entry.
- To add more text or another image below this image, select the image, click the right arrow on the keyboard once, and then click the Return or Enter key to move to the next line.