Norovirus Impact Mitigation Effort
Campus Cleaning Approach and Schedule
April 25, 2018
Primary Approach: The objective is disinfection of non-porous contact surfaces and touch points, with a particular focus on bathrooms and related fixtures. Primary disinfectants will be Oxivir (solution and wipes) and a bleach solution in limited cases.
Schedule Summary: A campuswide cleaning effort is planned for Wednesday, April 25, and the overnight period into Thursday, April 26 — with details outlined below. A followup cleaning effort for public buildings is planned for Saturday, April 28. Efforts will be modified and amplified if necessary.
Schedule Details by Area
- Starting at 8 a.m. on Wednesday – Facilities Management (FM) staff will perform a concentrated cleaning effort in all residence hall public spaces and bathrooms.
- Appropriate cleaning wipes and disposable gloves will be provided to students for cleaning of individual living spaces, and will also be provided for continued use in student bathroom areas.
Public Buildings (other than dining):
- From 6 to 8 a.m. on Wednesday FM staff will provide an initial cleaning of bathrooms and other common contact points (such as door handles).
- Regular cleaning services on campus will be reduced for the remainder of the day as the focus turns to residence halls, but rapid response will be provided for any indication of potential contamination.
- A concentrated cleaning effort for all public spaces will be performed from 8 p.m. on Wednesday to 4 a.m. on Thursday. This will be accomplished by FM staff — augmented by contract cleaning support. The cleaning schedule will work around scheduled evening events, but will require early closing of Burke Library and Blood Fitness Center. Buildings being cleaned will be closed to the campus community to ensure safety and effective procedures.
- Laboratory areas and equipment will be cleaned by designated lab supervisors, with appropriate cleaning materials provided.
- Appropriate cleaning wipes and disposable will be provided to occupants of individual offices – with the expectation that individuals will clean primary contact points in office areas.
Commons Dining Hall will be closed for cleaning on Wednesday morning (breakfast period). Will reopen at noon.
- McEwen Dining Hall will be closed after 2:30 p.m. for cleaning on Wednesday, will reopen for breakfast on Thursday.
- Diner will close at noon for cleaning on Wednesday. Will reopen for dinner.
- Little Pub will be closed for cleaning Wednesday. Will reopen on Thursday for Pub Lunch.
- Cafe Opus 1 and 2 will be closed for cleaning Wednesday morning. Will reopen for lunch.
- Euphoria will be closed for cleaning Wednesday morning. Will reopen once cleaning is completed.