Residence Hall Opening and Closing
Hamilton College publishes opening and closing dates well in advance to allow students and their families to plan and prepare. Along with dates, here is some helpful information to allow for a smooth and easy process.
During Winter Break, all residence halls close to all students. No resources are available on campus during this time. Early arrival requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
To-Do List for Moving Out
Prior to Leaving Campus:
- Schedule your check-out date and time with your RA.
- Remove all personal belongings (TVs, refrigerators, luggage, personal and cleaning items, clothing, etc.) from your room and nearby common areas. Items left behind will be disposed of, and could result in an excessive cleaning charge on your account.
- Thoroughly clean your space (vacuum, remove trash, food, recycling, etc.).
- Close and lock windows and close the blinds.
- Check out with your RA.
- Close and lock your door.
- Return your room key to your RA or to the Campus Safety Office. Keys should not be left in your room and should not be slid under your RA’s door. If you cannot find your RA to hand them your key, please drop it off at Campus Safety instead.
How do I donate to Cram & Scram?
Cram & Scram will take all of your unwanted but still usable items! There will be designated and clearly signed areas within most residence halls to drop off small items. Locations of these designated areas will be emailed near the end of the semester.
Items left in residence hall rooms will not be considered donations for Cram & Scram. The fee for removal of these items will be charged to occupants of that room.
How do I dispose of large furniture?
Large items that are not donated to Cram & Scram need to be removed from your residence hall room and taken directly to the dumpster located near your building. If items, large or small, are left in residence hall rooms the occupants of those rooms will be charged a fee for removal.
Where are dumpsters located?
Dumpsters will be located throughout campus starting prior to closing for non-seniors and will be removed after the final residence hall closing. They may be temporarily moved for Commencement.
What do I do if I'm transitioning to summer housing?
If you are transitioning to summer housing you will receive information and a Summer Housing Guide which will explain to you what you should do.