Support Staff Job Opportunities
Secretary to the Office of the President
Hamilton is one of the nation's top liberal arts colleges. It is independent, highly selective, coeducational and residential. Originally founded in 1793 as the Hamilton-Oneida Academy, Hamilton is today composed of 1,850 diverse and talented students from nearly all of the 50 states and approximately 40 countries. More information can be found at www.hamilton.edu/about.
The Secretary to the Office of the President is essential to the daily operations of the President’s Office and to the functioning of the Board of Trustees. Since the Secretary is often the first contact for the office and for Hamilton, it is critical that this person understand and support the College’s mission and values. The Secretary provides a high level of support to the President of the College and to the Board. A key component of this position is managing the President’s time and providing detailed preparation for meetings, projects, events, and travel. Good judgment and initiative are essential. The Secretary reports to the Executive Director of the Office of the President and works closely with the Events Coordinator and Dean of Faculty’s Office.
• Plans and oversees the President’s and Executive Director’s calendars.
• Schedules meetings for the President’s office and prepares the President and Executive Director for daily meetings.
• Communicates with College constituents in person and on the phone and determines, when appropriate, to involve the President and/or the Executive Director of the Office of the President.
• Partners with the Office of Communications & Development in planning and coordinating the President’s travel.
• Coordinates travel arrangements for the Executive Director.
• Organizes and reconciles billing and credit card statements for the President’s office.
• Coordinates donor acknowledgment letters with the Office of Communications & Development.
• Works with the Secretary to the Board of Trustees in planning and executing Board of Trustee mailings and meetings, including the preparation of agendas, resolutions, and supporting materials.
• Reviews and finalizes correspondence for the President’s office.
• Provides secretarial support to the Executive Director of the Office of the President
• Maintains all records, electronic and paper, for the Office of the President and the Board of Trustees.
• Oversees transfers for presidential discretionary funds once approved.
The position requires a high degree of flexibility, tact, judgment and professionalism. The ability to take initiative and anticipate needs is essential. Other qualifications include excellent oral and written communication skills, strong attention to detail and organization, the ability to prioritize multiple tasks, facility with various forms of technology, including familiarity with software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with Microsoft Outlook (or a similar calendar program) would be helpful. The Secretary must have a commitment to strict confidentiality. This position sometimes requires work outside normal business hours.
An associates degree and five or more years of experience in an administrative secretarial position is required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please review Hamilton's Benefits Summary for more information.
Interested applicants should send a resume, letter of interest and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hamilton College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and encourages diversity in all areas of the campus community.Posted 09/28/2012