Hamilton College Archives

Back to Archives Home Page

Campus Building and Renovation Chronology


Date Built*
Sort
Name of Building
Sort by Name

Current Name or
Date of Demolition

Sort by name
History
(More history of these buildings)
Current Campus Map
1794 Hamilton-Oneida Academy 1829   
1853 Gymnasium 1897 replaced 1891 by Soper Gymnasium; demolished to make room for Root Hall  
1855 Chemistry Laboratory 1904 replaced 1903; demolished to make room for Carnegie Hall  
1814 Hamilton Hall (old South College) 1906 remodeled in 1873 as Hungerford Hall  
1873 Hungerford Hall 1906 former Hamilton Hall; remodeled  
1856 Litchfield Observatory 1918 base for telescope remains near Sigma Phi house  
1900 Truax Hall of Philosophy 1970 F.H. Gouge; ionic columns now in cemetery  
1955 Delta Phi House 1972 former President's Residence  
1869 President's Residence 1972 built for S.G. Brown; became Delta Phi house  
1930 North and South Courtyards 2009 renovated 1978; housed mail center, Philosophy Department  
1999 210 College Hill Road (Philosophy) 2011 Philosophy Department starting 1998 or 1999 (previously faculty housing); demolished in 2011 to accommodate the Wellin Museum; philosophy Dept. moved to 202 College Hill Rd. in 2010  
2011 202 College Hill Road 202 College Hill Road (Philosophy Dept.) previously housed Career Center (which moved to Bristol Campus Center); Philosophy Department moved here in 2011 View Map
Building #
77 
1917 Horowitch Career Center (Maurice Horowitch Career and Life Outcomes Center) 202 College Hill Road (Philosophy Dept.) Built as faculty house (Burton in 1933); formerly the Maurice Horowitch Career Center View Map
Building #
77 
2002 ABC House (A Better Chance) ABC House Former faculty house (Nile/Cameron house in 1933) purchased by college and renovated for A Better Chance program  
1969 Afro-Latin Cultural Center Afro-Latin Culture Center former faculty housing; formerly called the Afro-American Cultural Center View Map
Building #
78 
1940 Alumni Gymnasium Alumni Gymnasium Bagg & Newkirk View Map
Building #
65 
1804 Lee's Tavern Anderson-Connell Alumni Center (C&D) Isaac Williams; an enlargement of a house of 1799 View Map
Building #
24 
1958 Root Art Center (Edward Wales Root Art Center) Anderson-Connell Alumni Center (C&D) former Root Homestead View Map
Building #
24 
1850 Root Homestead Anderson-Connell Alumni Center (C&D) former Lee's Tavern; also called "The Hemlocks," "the Upper Mathematical House"; "Pocket Gallery" added 1931 View Map
Building #
24 
1998 Babbitt Pavilion Babbitt Pavilion constructed 1998; outdoor social space adjacent to Minor Field View Map
Building #
1970 Babbitt Residence Hall Babbitt Residence Hall built for Kirkland College (originally Residence Hall "B") View Map
Building #
15 
1850 Alumni House Backus House former President's House; faculty residence View Map
Building #
56 
1970 Backus House (Azel Backus House) Backus House former Alumni House View Map
Building #
56 
1802 Boarding House Backus House designed by Isaac Williams, master carpenter  View Map
Building #
56 
1813 President's House Backus House former Boarding House; moved 1850 View Map
Building #
56 
1993 Beinecke Student Activities Village Beinecke Student Activities Village Former abandoned salt storage area; the complex includes Fillius Events Barn, Howard Diner and Mail Center. View Map
Building #
18 
1897 Benedict Hall of Languages Benedict Hall Frederick Hamilton Gouge, architect; renovated in 2009 View Map
Building #
55 
2006 Blood Fitness and Dance Center (Charlean and Wayland Blood Fitness and Dance Center) Blood Fitness and Dance Center Complete renovation of Saunders Hall of Chemistry; opened October 2006 View Map
Building #
64 
1903 Chemistry Building Blood Fitness and Dance Center F.H. Gouge; enlarged 1930 by Bagg & Newkirk View Map
Building #
64 
1978 Saunders Hall of Chemistry Blood Fitness and Dance Center former Chemistry Building; renovated; rededicated to A.P. Saunders View Map
Building #
64 
1966 Bristol Center (William McLaren Bristol Center) Bristol Center E.D. Stone; formerly Bristol Campus Center View Map
Building #
53 
1988 Bristol Swimming Pool (William M. Bristol, Jr. Swimming Pool) Bristol Swimming Pool Replaced earlier pool in Alumni Gym; renovated 2013 View Map
Building #
66 
1970 Bundy East and Bundy West Residence Halls Bundy East and West Residence Halls Edmund J. Booth, architect; part of Harlow E. Bundy Quadrangle; renovations 2009 View Map
Building #
29 
1970 Bundy Dining Hall Bundy Hall Edmund J. Booth, architect; part of Harlow E. Bundy Quadrangle View Map
Building #
30 
1972 Burke Library (Daniel Burke Library) Burke Library Hugh Stubbins, Associates, architects; many interior renovations, including in 2011 View Map
Building #
43 
1926 Buttrick Hall Buttrick Hall former Knox Hall of Natural history; renovated to resemble original design; redecorated to reflect the taste of different Hamilton College presidents View Map
Building #
60 
1812 Hall of Commons Buttrick Hall also called "The Banqueting Hall"; closed 1820 View Map
Building #
60 
1883 Knox Hall of Natural History Buttrick Hall former Cabinet; remodeled View Map
Building #
60 
1850 The Cabinet Buttrick Hall science building with museum; former Hall of Commons View Map
Building #
60 
1985 Campus Safety Office Campus Safety Office (approximate date) View Map
Building #
76 
1904 Carnegie Residence Hall Carnegie Residence Hall "West College"; F.H. Gouge View Map
Building #
63 
2004 Carriage House Carriage House Carriage house/garage for Edward Root house/Root Art Center/Anderson-Connell Alumni Center; converted into office for the vice-president of Administration and Finance View Map
Building #
23 
1827 Chapel Chapel designed by John H. Lothrop of Utica (a College trustee) as a multi-purpose building; Philip Hooker of Albany designed the façade; many alterations over the years; most recent in 1949 by Bagg & Newkirk View Map
Building #
51 
1982 Christian A. Johnson Hall Christian A. Johnson Hall former James Library; renovated and rededicated View Map
Building #
61 
1914 James Library (Ellen Curtiss James Library) Christian A. Johnson Hall Coolidge & Carlson, architects View Map
Building #
61 
1903 Commons (Soper Hall of Commons) Commons F.H. Gouge; addition in rear in 1959 by Adams & Woodbridge View Map
Building #
58 
1992 Couper Hall Couper Hall former Silliman Hall; rededicated in 1992 View Map
Building #
54 
1888 Silliman Hall Couper Hall Fuller & Wheeler of Albany, architects; built as College YMCA and union center; is such until 1929 View Map
Building #
54 
2015 Crow Aviary  Crow Aviary replaced 3994 Campus Road (residence house) View Map
Building #
40 
2011 Days-Massolo Center  Days-Massolo Center Opened in 2011; formerly named the Cultural Education Center; previously Ferry Building View Map
Building #
79 
1989 Ferry Administration Building Days-Massolo Center formerly a faculty/administration residence; renovated and rededicated for Personnel and then for Computer Science View Map
Building #
79 
1958 Dunham Dormitory Dunham Residence Hall Adams & Woodbridge View Map
Building #
75 
1882 Alpha Delta Phi House Eells House rebuilt in same spot 1928 View Map
Building #
47 
2000 Eells House Eells House former Alpha Delta Phi House; sold to college; renovated and rededicated; student residence View Map
Building #
47 
1817 Root House; Grant House Elihu Root House Presidential house; 1893, purchased by Elihu Root; 1937, home of Edith Root Grant and Ulysses S. Grant III; 1978, purchased by College; renovated in 1980 for administrative quarters View Map
Building #
25 
2008 Faculty Artist Studio Faculty Artist Studio Barn/garage behind Grant House/Elihu Root House converted to studio in July, 2008 View Map
Building #
26 
1912 Delta Upsilon House Ferguson House Fraternity house View Map
Building #
46 
1996 Ferguson House Ferguson House former Delta Upsilon House; sold to college; renovated and rededicated; student residence View Map
Building #
46 
2006 Glen House (Headquarters for the Hamilton Outdoor Leadership Center) Glen House Part of Root family estate; Art Studio when Homestead was Root Art Center; renovated 2006 to house Hamilton Outdoor Education Center View Map
Building #
22 
1959 Griffin Road Apartments Griffin Road Apartments built as faculty apartments; now student residences View Map
Building #
85 
1968 Keehn Residence Hall Keehn Residence Hall built for Kirkland College; was a student co-operative View Map
Building #
2014 Kennedy Center (Kevin and Karen Kennedy Center for Theatre and the Studio Arts) Kennedy Center Opened at Fallcoming 2014 View Map
Building #
80 
1792 Kirkland Cottage Kirkland Cottage moved to present place from near the cemetery in 1925 View Map
Building #
59 
1823 Kirkland Hall (Middle College) Kirkland Residence Hall built as twin of North College; remodeled as Soper Gymnasium in 1891 View Map
Building #
50 
1962 Kirkland Residence Hall Kirkland Residence Hall former Soper Gymnasium; remodeled 1947 after the Alumni Gymnasium was built View Map
Building #
50 
1891 Soper Gymnasium Kirkland Residence Hall former Middle College; remodeled View Map
Building #
50 
1972 Kirner-Johnson Building Kirner-Johnson Building built for Kirkland College View Map
Building #
14 
2008 Kirner-Johnson Building Kirner-Johnson Building Expanded and renovated in 2008 View Map
Building #
14 
1970 List Art Center (Vera G. and Albert A. List Art Center) List Art Center built for Kirkland College View Map
Building #
11 
2006 Little Squash Center Little Squash Center named for Jeff Little '71; opened fall 2006 View Map
Building #
69 
1968 Major Residence Hall Major Residence Hall built for Kirkland College View Map
Building #
1969 McEwen Dining Hall McEwen Dining Hall built for Kirkland College View Map
Building #
13 
1968 McIntosh Residence Hall McIntosh Residence Hall built for Kirkland College View Map
Building #
1972 Milbank Residence Hall Milbank Residence Hall built for Kirkland College View Map
Building #
16 
1968 Minor Residence Hall Minor Residence Hall built for Kirkland College View Map
Building #
2006 Molly Root House Molly Root House built for Elihu Root, Jr. 1903; home of Molly and Elihu Root III '36; houses Department of Art History as of Spring 2006; renovations 2008 View Map
Building #
81 
1924 Knox Infirmary  Morris House former Perry Hiram Smith Library; an infirmary View Map
Building #
49 
1961 Minor Theater Morris House former Perry Hiram Smith Library; remodeled by E.D. Stone; much altered during early 1970's View Map
Building #
49 
2015 Morris House Morris House Minor Theater renovated to become a residence hall; opened fall 2015 View Map
Building #
49 
1872 Perry Hiram Smith Library Morris House later Perry Hiram Smith Hall View Map
Building #
49 
1842 Dexter Hall North Residence Hall North College building completed and renamed View Map
Building #
48 
1823 North College North Residence Hall shell built; remained incomplete until 1842 View Map
Building #
48 
1962 North Residence Hall North Residence Hall former Skinner Hall; renovated by E.D. Stone View Map
Building #
48 
1884 Skinner Hall North Residence Hall former Dexter Hall; renovated View Map
Building #
48 
1975 Peters Observatory Observatory Named for Prof. C.H.F. Peters View Map
Building #
1962 Physical Plant Physical Plant also known as Maintenance and Operations; building first shown on 1962 map View Map
Building #
84 
1910 Davenport House President's House built by Frederick Morgan Davenport, Professor of Law 1904-1929; architect, Arthur Jackson; Queen Anne style  
1995 Rogers Estate Rogers Estate house of Philip V. Rogers '30, sold to college 1994; made into student housing Fall 1995 View Map
Building #
37 
1995 Root Farmhouse Root Farmhouse Part of Root family property; named after Elihu Root; made into student residence 1995 View Map
Building #
19 
1897 Root Hall of Science Root Hall designed by Carriere and Hastings; many renovations; reverts to classrooms after 1925 View Map
Building #
62 
1971 Root Residence Hall Root Residence Hall built for Kirkland College View Map
Building #
10 
1959 Rudd Health Center (Thomas Brown Rudd Health Center) Rudd Health Center Adams & Woodbridge; addition added in 1972 View Map
Building #
57 
1927 ELS House Sadove Student Center at Emerson Hall former house for the Emerson Literary Society burned down in 1927 and was rebuilt View Map
Building #
17 
2009 Sadove Student Center (Sadove Student Center at Emerson Hall) Sadove Student Center at Emerson Hall Emerson Hall expanded and renovated in 2009; dedicated to Sadove family View Map
Building #
17 
1921 Sage Rink (Russell Sage Rink) Sage Rink Bagg & Newkirk View Map
Building #
67 
1810 Saunders House Saunders House built by Isaac Williams; residence of Saunders family until Silvia Saunders' death in 1994; renovated for student residence in 1995 View Map
Building #
83 
1988 Schambach Center (Hans H. Schambach Center for Music and the Performing Arts) Schambach Center  View Map
Building #
12 
1978 Scott Field House (Margaret Bundy Scott Field House) Scott Field House  View Map
Building #
68 
1918 Sigma Phi House Siuda House  Bagg & Newkirk; replaced chapter house which was previously burned; altered and enlarged in 1940's; purchased by the college c. 2005. View Map
Building #
44 
2007 Siuda House (Offices of Admission and Financial Aid at Siuda House) Siuda House (Admission and Financial Aid Offices) former Sigma Phi house; opened as offices May 9, 2007 View Map
Building #
44 
2004 Skenandoa House Skenandoa House former Psi Upsilon house; built 1922; rededicated as Skenandoa in 2004 View Map
Building #
32 
1907 New South College South Residence Hall F.H. Gouge; built on the same location as old South College/Hamilton Hall/Hungerford Hall View Map
Building #
52 
1906 Chi Psi House Spencer House formerly Huntington Homestead; burned and rebuilt View Map
Building #
28 
2003 Spencer House (Philip Spencer House) Spencer House former Chi Psi House; sold to College and renovated; now administration building (Business Office/Human Resources) View Map
Building #
28 
2009 Steuben Field Steuben Field Renovated in 2009; natural grass replaced with turf View Map
Building #
74 
1925 Science Building Taylor Science Center Housed Biology and Geology in 1933 View Map
Building #
42 
1964 Science Building Taylor Science Center Renovations; Dana Wing added View Map
Building #
42 
2005 Taylor Science Center (Edward and Virginia Taylor Science Center) Taylor Science Center Expansion and renovation; replacement of Dana Wing; opened September 2005; rededication and naming September 2011 View Map
Building #
42 
1996 The Little Pub The Little Pub former barn and stables for Root property; renovated  View Map
Building #
20 
2007 Tolles Pavilion Tolles Pavilion Added to Beinecke Student Activity Village; also known as the Annex; dedicated in name of Winton '28 and Patricia Tolles View Map
Building #
21 
1925 Wallace Johnson Residence Hall Wallace Johnson Residence Hall Residence of Wallace B. Johnson, class of 1915, Secretary of the College, until his death in 1968; student residence View Map
Building #
34 
2012 Wellin Museum (The Ruth and Elmer Wellin Museum of Art), The Wellin Wellin Museum new construction; opened October 5, 2012 View Map
Building #
82 
1927 Delta Kappa Epsilon House Wertimer House Fraternity house View Map
Building #
35 
2004 Wertimer House Wertimer House former DKE House;rededicated in 2004 as Wertimer;named after Eleanor and Sidney Wertimer View Map
Building #
35 
1925 Theta Delta Chi House Woollcott House Fraternity house View Map
Building #
45 
1994 Woollcott House Woollcott House former Theta Delta Chi house; sold to college; renovated and rededicated; student residence View Map
Building #
45