On January 15, 2011, the Arboretum Association dedicated the College's Liberty Elm Tree, which was donated by James Hansel ’10, whose grandfather founded the Elm Research Institute.
The Liberty Tree is a special breed of elm which is resistant to Dutch Elm Disease. The first Liberty Tree was planted in 1646, and became a symbol for the Sons of Liberty during the Revolutionary War. A main aspect of the Liberty Tree Society’s mission is to continue the “Re-Elming” of America by planting these resistant elms in public spaces throughout the country.
Below are pictures of the dedication plaque and the College's Liberty Elm Tree.