Employee Storage Server (ESS)
ESS General Information
The ESS provides all Hamilton employees a central location to store critical files from their Macintosh and PC desktop computers.
The Employee Storage Server (ESS) provides:
- A central, secure area where all employees can store their critical personal files from their on-campus desktop machine. These files will be accessible from any PC or Macintosh on-campus. (H Drive (Win); users volume (Mac))
- A central, secure area where each department can share files with other people in their department. (M Drive (Win); Departments volume (Mac))
- A central, secure area where employees can share files with people in various departments. (P Drive (Win); Departments volume (Mac))
- Off-campus access to files, login to My Hamilton and click on the Files tab.
ESS User Folder Quotas (Size Limits)
Every employee at Hamilton College is provided with disk space on the Employee Storage Server (ESS) to back up and/or store their critical documents and other electronic data from their office computer. Each academic and administrative department is also provided shared space for employees within the department to use to share documents or data with each other. Campus space is provided for employees to use to share files with employees in other departments
Each employee at Hamilton is given an initial disk quota of three Gigabytes (3 GB) to store their own personal files and data. Each department and campus space is also given an initial quota of One Gigabyte (1 GB).
Requests for increases in disk quotas are handled by the ITS Network and Telecommunications Services team on an individual basis.
Process for requesting Disk Quota Increases
Individual employees or departments may request a permanent increase in their ESS disk quota each year in increments of 500 MB. Requests for space greater than 5 GB in size will be handled on an individual basis. A maximum of 10 GB of space per employee is allowed. Additional ESS disk space is available on a temporary basis for special projects, research, or instructional needs. Any requests for additional space beyond the maximum limit will be referred to the Instructional Technology Services or Desktop Integration Services teams for alternative arrangements.
The requestor must provide a time limit for the request, i.e., when he/she expects to no longer need the space (the time should not exceed one semester). Since the increase in disk quota is temporarily allocated, it is the requester's responsibility to either request an extension or to "backup" her/his files to another area when the additional quota expires.
The Employment Storage Server (ESS) will not provide:
Any access to students. Students have their own storage server (SSS)
A place for you to backup your entire hard drive. The storage space we are providing is only to be used to backup or store your critical files. Most of your hard drive space is used to store applications which need to be completely re-installed if there were ever a problem with your machine, so it is pointless to back them up.
ESS On-Campus - Windows
- Double click on the Computer icon on your desktop.
- Double-click on network drive you need.
- As long as you have the appropriate rights, you can now drag and drop files to the desired space.
ESS On-Campus - Macintosh
- From the Macintosh desktop, select Go and then Connect to Server.
- Enter ess as the server address, then select Connect.
- Under Select the volumes to mount, choose users from the window (or, if applicable, Campus or Departments), then select OK.
Locate the folder corresponding to your username. This folder represents your personal ESS space.