Auxiliary Services


Personal Vehicles 

On Campus or Used for Off-Campus Activities

Most College employees drive to and from work in their own vehicle and many use their own vehicles for business travel or College-related errands.  The purpose of this document is to provide general information regarding mileage/daily use reimbursement rate and insurance coverage information/guidelines.
Mileage Reimbursement
The current mileage reimbursement rate can be found at https://my.hamilton.edu/college/business_office/index.html.  This rate is based on the federally-established mileage rate.  The mileage rate is calculated to reimburse a driver for their fuel cost, insurance cost and wear/tear on their vehicle.  (This is why the mileage rate exceeds the actual cost of fuel for a trip.)  This rate is adjusted periodically to keep pace with rising fuel and insurance costs. 
When an employee uses a personal vehicle for College-related travel, s/he should submit a mileage reimbursement request to her/his supervisor using an Expense Reimbursement Form.  If your department does not have this form, it can be obtained from the Print Shop.
Employees who use their own vehicles on a more frequent basis and primarily are traveling within the campus boundaries are reimbursed a daily vehicle use rate.  This is a negotiated rate and is adjusted as needed.  This rate is also calculated to reimburse the employee for fuel costs, insurance costs and wear/tear on their vehicle.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
If an employee is involved in an accident while driving their personal vehicle, whether for business or personal purposes, their own insurance is the primary insurance coverage.  Vehicle insurance carries with the vehicle.  The purpose of the vehicle use does not determine the insurance that will respond in the event of a claim.  The employee's vehicle is covered by the employee's insurance policy.  This is mandated by New York State motor vehicle law.  The College cannot and does not insure the employee's personal vehicle when the employee is using it for business purposes.
If an employee is involved in an accident, s/he should follow all the accident reporting procedures required by New York State and her/his own insurance company.  If the damage to the employee's or another vehicle is likely to exceed $500 or if there is any confusion or disagreement as to the person at fault for the accident, the employee should  contact the local police department and request that they complete an accident report.
If an employee's personal vehicle is damaged by a College-owned vehicle or College-owned equipment and the College driver is at fault, the College's insurance will respond.  Campus Security should be called to complete an incident report.  In addition, the employee should have a repair estimate prepared by a local body shop and should send a copy of that estimate to Irene K. Cornish, Auxiliary Services, 315-859-4300 (fax).  The incident report and the estimate will be sent to the College's insurance company (Travelers).  Travelers will contact the employee directly re reimbursement for their damages.  If there are any questions regarding the claim, the employee should contact Irene K. Cornish at x4999.
Damages to Parked Vehicles
If an employee's personal vehicle is damaged while stopped or parked on campus property, the employee's personal vehicle insurance applies.  The College's insurance would only apply if the College were negligent in some way and directly responsible for the damage.  In either case, the employee should report the incident to Campus Safety and request they complete an incident report.  The employee will need the incident report for their insurance company.  If the College is 's insurance company.  The College is not liable for any deductibles or uninsured amounts on an employee's insurance policy if the College is not liable for the damage (i.e., if the employee has a deductible of $500 for collision damage and their car is damaged, on campus, by a hit and run driver).
Vehicle Insurance
The following limits have been provided as a guide by the College's insurance carrier.  This is the minimum level of coverage suggested. 
$100,000 per person (bodily injury)
$300,000 per accident (bodily injury)
$50,000 per accident (property damage)
Higher limits of coverage are recommended to protect a vehicle owner in the event of a serious motor vehicle accident.  Employees are encouraged to check with their insurance company to determine the level of coverage that is adequate for her/his circumstances. 

Off-Campus Field Trips/Classes

When students or faculty use their personal vehicles to travel to/from off-campus classes or field trip locations, the same situation exists relative to insurance (see above, Motor Vehicle Accidents).  The student or faculty member's personal vehicle insurance applies in the event of an accident.

If a College-owned vehicle or College-rented vehicle is used for an off-campus activity, the College's insurance applies in the event of an accident or claim.  The vehicle can only be driven by a College employee or authorized student driver.  For additional information regarding the student driver authorization process, please refer to the Physical Plant website.

College Insurance
Any questions regarding the College's vehicle or liability insurance policies should be directed to Irene K. Cornish, Auxiliary Services, x4999.