As a driver of a Hamilton College vehicle, you are responsible for exercising good judgment to ensure:
- The safety of yourself and your passengers.
- The safety of the vehicle.
In the event of an accident involving any personal injury or property damage to a Hamilton College vehicle, take the following actions:
- Contact 911 and remain at the scene until law enforcement arrives.
- Contact Campus Safety at 315-859-4000 and inform them of the accident.
- Provide any requested/required information to the police and other parties/emergency responders, and obtain all data necessary to complete the Hamilton College accident report form.
Note—the procedure and the accident report form will be located in the glove compartment.
- If you have a cell phone camera with you, take pictures of any damage to the Hamilton vehicle, other vehicles involved, and any property damage which may have occurred. You will be asked to forward them to the Transportation Office, (email@example.com) for the accident report filing.
- Do not assume responsibility for the accident. Provide accurate and truthful information to the authorities. The police and insurance companies will determine the driver at fault. If the police or the owner/driver of the other vehicle requests a contact name and number for insurance purposes, please refer them to Michael Houle, Student Transportation Coordinator, 315-859-4515, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you are unable to proceed, call Campus Safety at 315-859-4000. Be certain to give the person with whom you speak: your name, location, the telephone number from which you are calling, location of the vehicle, the nature of the problem, and the assistance required. Remain at the telephone until you get a response as to the action to be taken.
- Notify your advisor.
In case of a mechanical breakdown unrelated to an accident and you are unable to proceed because the vehicle is disabled:
- Contact Campus Safety at 315-859-4000.
- Be certain to give the person with whom you speak your name, location, the telephone number from which you are calling, location of the vehicle, the nature of the problem, and the assistance required. Remain at the telephone until you get a response as to the action to be taken.
- Notify your advisor.
- Accidents, damages or citations must be reported in person to Campus Safety. Campus Safety will fill out an incident report for routing to other appropriate/internal parties.