For all students, whether through coursework or research, the Chemistry Department fosters the development of creativity, rigor, and flexibility in problem solving along with the ability to communicate ideas and processes with clarity and precision in the context of chemistry.
The Senior Program
All senior chemistry students work collaboratively with faculty members on research projects as part of the Senior Program. This intensive two-semester project combines original scientific research with reading and understanding the scientific literature. It culminates in a Senior Thesis that is defended in a public presentation to departmental faculty and student chemistry majors.
Recent projects in chemistry include:
- Synthesis of a Zirconium-Based Metal-Organic Framework
- Progress toward the synthesis of polymerizable ruthenium metallopolymers for applications in photodynamic therapy
- Synthesis of Guanidinium-Rich Cell Penetrating Peptide
- Tri-Doping Lanthanide Complexes for Access to Blue Light Emission
- Developing the Rationale Design of Ring Opening Metathesis Polymers for Improving the Activity and Selectivity of Cobalt Phthalocyanine in CO2 Reduction Electrocatalysis