Elaine Paravati Harrigan
Visiting Assistant Professor of PsychologyTaylor Science Center 3034
Harrigan’s research interests include the need to belong, restorative narratives, gender and personality differences in social need fulfillment, and the influence of technology on social interaction.
She received her B.S. in psychology from Utica College, and both her M.S. in psychology and her Ph.D. in social-personality psychology from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
Recent Courses Taught
Intro to Psychology
Psychology in a Pandemic
- Paravati, E., Fitzgerald, K., & Green, M.C. (2021). Ups and downs: How emotions make characters real. In Shackleford, K., Isbouts, J. P., & Walker, K. (Eds)., Real Characters: The Psychology of Parasocial Relationships with Media Characters. Fielding Graduate University Press.
- Fitzgerald, K., Green, M., & Paravati, E. (2020). Restorative narratives: Using narrative trajectory for prosocial outcomes. Journal of Public Interest Communications, 4(2), 51-74. doi: https://doi.org/10.32473/jpic.v4.i2.p51
- Ward, D., Park, L., Walsh, C., Paravati, E., & Whillans, A. (2021). For the love of money: The influence of financially contingent self-worth in romantic relationships. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 1-26.
- Brinkman, C. S., Gabriel, S., & Paravati, E. (2020). Social achievement goals and social media. Computers in Human Behavior, 111, 106427.
- Paravati, E., Naidu, E., & Gabriel, S. (2020). From “love actually” to love, actually: The sociometer takes every kind of fuel. Self and Identity, DOI: 10.1080/15298868.2020.1743750
- Paravati, E., Naidu, E., Gabriel, S., & Weidemann, C. (2019). More Than Just a Tweet: The Unconscious Impact of Forming Parasocial Relationships through Social Media. Psychology of Consciousness: Theory, Research, and Practice.
- Gabriel, S., Naidu, E., Paravati, E., Morrison, C. D.., & Gainey, K. (2019). Creating the Sacred from the Profane: Collective Effervescence and Everyday Activities. Journal of Positive Psychology, 1-26.
- Fitzgerald, K., Paravati, E., Green, M.C., Moore, M., Qian, J. (2019). Restorative Narratives for Health Promotion. Health Communication. 1-8.
- Green, M.C., Bilandzic, H., Fitzgerald, K., & Paravati, E. (2019). Narrative effects. In Raney, A., & Oliver, M.B. (Eds)., Handbook of Media Effects: Advances in Theory and Research, Fourth Edition (pp. 130-145). New York: Routledge.
- Gabriel, S., Paravati, E., Green, M, & Folmsbee, J. (2018). From Apprentice to President: The Role of Parasocial Connection in the Election of Donald Trump. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 9(3), 299-307.
Association for Psychological Science
International Communication Association
Society for Personality and Social Psychology
Society for the Teaching of Psychology
Midwestern Psychological Association
Psi Chi Honor Society
Utica College Psychology Society
Appointed to the Faculty: 2020
Ph.D., University at Buffalo, State University of New York
M.A., University at Buffalo, State University of New York
B.S., Utica College