Sol M. Linowitz Visiting Professor of International AffairsKirner-Johnson 112
Emad Kiyaei is a principal at the international consulting firm IGD Group, where he provides political, business and civil society leaders with strategic advise in the intersection of political risk, diplomacy and technology. He is the co-author of a forthcoming book, Weapons of Mass Destruction: A new approach to non-proliferation, to be published by Routledge and Chatham House in 2017.
Formerly, he was a researcher on the geopolitics of the Middle East for Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public & International Affairs and an associate at Columbia University’s Center for International Conflict Resolution (CICR). From 2011 through 2016, Mr. Kiyaei served as Executive Director of the American Iranian Council (AIC), a nonprofit and nonpartisan educational organization that focuses on US-Iran relations, where he currently serves as a policy advisor.
He consulted with the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council and Germany during the Iranian nuclear negotiations (2013-2016). Mr. Kiyaei regularly contributes and provides interviews to national and international media, including Al Jazeera, BBC, Business Insider, CBS, Foreign Policy, NPR and PBS. He also appeared in the renowned documentary on cyber warfare, Zero Days. Mr. Kiyaei holds a Master’s of International Affairs from Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs.
Recent Courses Taught
Seminar: Weapons of Mass Destruction
Rotary International’s Global Peace Award, 2008
- Weapons of Mass Destruction: A new approach to non-proliferation, Emad Kiyaei, et al. Chatham House & Routledge, forthcoming.
- “The Guardian of the Revolution,” Cipher Brief, April 28, 2016.
- The Iran nuclear dilemma: the peaceful use of nuclear energy and the NPT’s main objectives, Seyed Hossein Mousavian, Ashgate Publishing, February 2015. (Lead Researcher)
- “America's Last Best Hope for Defeating the Islamic State Is…Iran?” Foreign Policy, November 11, 2014.
- Iran and the United States: An Insider’s view on the Failed Past and the Road to Peace, Seyed Hossein Mousavian, et al. Bloomsbury Academic, May 2014. (Lead Researcher)
- “The need for strategic thinking in U.S.-Iran relations,” Tehran Times, April 2014.
- “Steps toward a Middle East Zone Free of Nuclear Weapons and all other Weapons of Mass Destruction,” Emad Kiyaei, et al. Research Report No. 11, International Panel on Fissile Materials, October 2013.
- “The Importance and Possibilities of Establishing the Weapons of Mass Destruction-Free Zone in the Middle East,” Emad Kiyaei, US Peace Council, October 2013.
- The Iranian Nuclear Crisis: A Memoir, Seyed Hossein Mousavian, Carnegie Endowment, June 2012. (Lead Researcher)
- “Weighing Benefits and Costs of International Sanctions Against Iran,” William Luers, et al. Report No.2, The Iran Project, December 2012. (Contributor)
- “UN Regional Commissions: Coordinating Regional Climate Change Projects,” Emad Kiyaei, et al. Columbia University & UN Regional Commissions New York Office, May 2009.
- “Zero Days.” Jigsaw Productions, February 11, 2016.
- “Inside the prison swap with Iran which freed Washington Post reporter.” PBS, January 16, 2016.
- “The implications of the nuclear deal.” BBC, July 15, 2015.
- “Fallout from Netanyahu's Address.” NPR, March 3, 2015.
- “P5+1 Nuclear Negotiations.” Al Jazeera, November 17, 2014.
- “The US And Iran Are Getting Close And Could Get Much Closer.” Business Insider, September 19, 2014.
Appointed to the Faculty: 2017
M.A, Columbia University, School of International & Public Affairs
B.S., Stony Brook University