Assistant Professor of Environmental StudiesTaylor Science Center 1027
firstname.lastname@example.org Website Twitter
Heather Kropp’s research investigates the impacts of climate change on plants and the subsequent consequences for energy and water cycling. Her research spans desert, boreal, and Arctic ecosystems.
Kropp applies big datasets and statistical computing approaches to examine the impact of climate change from leaf to global scales. She teaches on topics related to high latitude ecosystems, geospatial analysis, and environmental data science.
Before joining Hamilton’s faculty, she was a postdoctoral research associate and visiting faculty at Colgate University. Kropp completed a B.S. from The Evergreen State College and received a Ph.D. in the environmental life sciences at Arizona State University in 2015.
Recent Courses Taught
Environmental Data Science
Changing Arctic Ecosystems
- H. Kropp, M. M. Loranty, S. M. Natali, A. Kholodov, H. D. Alexander, N. Zimov, M. Mack, S. Spawn. 2019. Tree density influences ecohydrological drivers of plant water relations in a larch boreal forest in Siberia. Ecohydrology.
- M.M. Loranty, S. Davydov, H. Kropp, H. D. Alexander, M. Mack, S. Natali, and N. Zimov. 2018. NDVI does not capture landscape scale vegetation dynamics in upland Siberian larch forests. Remote Sensing.
- M. M. Loranty, B. W. Abbot, D. Block, T. A. Douglas, H. E. Epstein, B. C. Forbes, B. M. Jones, A. L. Kholodov, H. Kropp, and 10 others. 2018. Changing ecosystem influences on soil thermal regimes in northern high-latitude permafrost regions. Biogeosciences Discussions.
- H. Kropp, M.M. Loranty, H.D. Alexander, L.T. Berner, S.M. Natali, S. A. Spawn. 2017. Environmental constraints on transpiration and stomatal conductance in a Siberian Arctic boreal forest. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences. 122.
- H. Kropp, K. Ogle, E. Vivoni, K.R. Hultine. 2017. The sensitivity of evapotranspiration to inter-specific plant neighbor interactions: implications for models. Ecosystems.
American Geophysical Union
Ecological Society of America
Appointed to the Faculty: 2020
Ph.D., Arizona State University
B.S., Evergreen State College