Assistant Professor of EconomicsOn leave 2018-19
Javier M. Pereira's research interests are in financial intermediation, credit risk and international finance. Pereira's current research focuses on the role of underwriter reputation in financial market stability. He worked previously as a consultant in the Latin America finance and private sector development unit at The World Bank. Prior to joining the bank he was an associate analyst on the Structured Finance Team at Moody’s Investor Service and a research analyst at Consultatio Asset Management. Pereira has taught courses in microeconomics, macroeconomics and finance at the University of Washington. He received his bachelor of arts and post-graduate degree in economics from Universidad Torcuato Di Tella in Argentina. His master’s degree and doctorate in economics are from the University of Washington in Seattle.
Recent Courses Taught
Investment Capital and Finance
Issues in Microeconomics
finance, banking, international finance, macroeconomics
- Steven Langton Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching, University of Washington
- Letter of Commendation for Exceptional Student Evaluations, Dean of Arts and Sciences, University of Washington
- James K. Hall Fellowship, University of Washington
- Uruguay Capital Markets, Challenges and Opportunities (joint with Eduardo Urdapilleta), 2010, Policy Notes Series, The World Bank.
- Argentine Securitization Market: 2008 Midyear Review & Outlook, 2008, Special Comment, Moody's Investors' Service.
Work in Progress:
- “Deregulation, Underwriter Reputation and Quality of Certification: Evidence from Two Decades in the US High Yield Bond Market,” under review, September 2016.
- “Bank Concentration, Competition, and Financial Inclusion” (joint with Ann Owen), working paper, September 2016.
- “Global Credit Risk, Net Foreign Asset Position and Exchange Rates”, working paper, June 2015.
American Economic Association
Western Economic Association
Instructor, University of Washington, Economics Department, 2011-15
Instructor, University of Washington, Bothell School of Business, 2013-15
Consultant, Private Sector Development Unit, The World Bank, 2008-10, Summer 2013
Associate Analyst, Structured Finance, Moody’s Investors Service, 2006-08
Research Analyst, Consultatio Asset Management, 2005-06
Appointed to the Faculty: 2015
Ph.D., University of Washington
M.A., University of Washington
B.S., Universidad Torcuato Di Tella