Lecturer in PhysicsTaylor Science Center G052
Jon Gaffney’s research and development efforts have addressed student learning of physics at the introductory undergraduate level, and he continues to be fascinated with the problem of making physics more accessible to students.
Gaffney earned a doctorate in physics with a concentration in physics education research by studying how students reason when solving deductive physics problems. He then worked as a postdoctoral scholar at the University of Kentucky and as an assistant professor at Eastern Kentucky University.
Recent Courses Taught
Survey of Physics I
Survey of Physics I Lab
- J.D.H. Gaffney and Amy L. Housley Gaffney, "Student satisfaction in studio-style physics classes," Phys. Rev. Phys. Educ. Res. 12, 020l25 (2016).
- J.D.H. Gaffney and Jacob T. Whitaker, "Making the most of your first day of class," The Physics Teacher 53(3), 137-139 (2015). Included in the 2014-2015 issue of The Best of The Physics Teacher, and a featured article on The Physics Teacher's website.
- "Education majors' expectations and reported experiences with inquiry based physics: Implications for student affect," Phys. Rev. ST Phys. Edu Res. 010112 (2013).
- J. D. H. Gaffney, E. Richards, K. Foote, and R.J. Beichner, Using charge distributions to "immerse" your classroom in an electric field, The Physics Teacher 51(4), 234-237 (2013).
- S. Van Horne, C. Murniati, J. D. H. Gaffney, and M. Jesse, "Promoting active learning in technology-infused TILE classrooms at the University of Iowa," Journal of Learning Spaces
I (2), (2012).
- J.D.H. Gaffney, A. L. Housley Gaffney, and R. J. Beichner, "Do they see it coming? Using expectancy violation to gauge the success of pedagogical reforms," Phys. Rev. ST Phys. Educ. Res. 6, 010102 (2010).
- M. B. Kustusch, J. D. H. Gaffney, and R. Beichner, "The real prize inside: Learning about science and spectra from cereal boxes," The Physics Teacher 47(7), 450-453 (2009).
- J.D.H. Gaffney, E. Richards, M. B. Kustusch, L. Ding, and R. Beichner, "Scaling up education reform," J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 37(5), 48-53 (2008).
Appointed to the Faculty: 2017
Ph.D., North Carolina State University
M.S., University of Pittsburgh
B.S., Bethany College