Michael Shapiro ’71
Lecturer in Art Historymshapiro@hamilton.edu
- Officier, Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, Ministry of Culture, Republic of France, December, 2011
- Chevalier, Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, Ministry of Culture, Republic of France, November, 2005
- Ailsa Mellon Bruce Visiting Senior Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., June-July 1992
- German John J. McCloy Fellowship in Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, in cooperation with the American Council on Germany, 1988
- “The Present Moment for Art Museum Directors: From Eustace Tilley to Today,” Clark Art Institute Journal, Winter 2016.
- Eleven Museum/Eleven Directors: Conversations on Art & Leadership, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2016.
- “Better trained curatorial candidates are what is needed.” Art Newspaper, October 1, 2007.
- “Le Louvre a Atlanta, un partenariat exemplaire.” Le Monde, Op-Ed page, February 9, 2007.
- “Reflections on the High Museum of Art,” Richard Meier Museums, New York: Rizzoli, 2006.
- Impressionism: Paintings Collected by European Museums, Managing Curator. New York: Abrams, 1999.
- Rings: Five Passions in World Art, editor. New York: Abrams, 1996.
- George Caleb Bingham. The Library of American Art. New York: Abrams, 1993.
- Gerhard Richter. Bulletin of The Saint Louis Art Museum (Summer 1992). St. Louis: The Saint Louis Art Museum, 1990.
- “George Caleb Bingham.” Antiques. (July 1990): 142-153.
- “The River Paintings.” George Caleb Bingham. New York: Abrams; St. Louis: The Saint Louis Art Museum, 1990.
- “Frederic Remington: The Sculptor" Frederic Remington: The Masterworks. New York: Abrams; St. Louis: The Saint Louis Art Museum, 1988.
- “Inside-Out/Outside-In: The Anatomy of Nancy Graves’ Sculpture.” The Sculpture of Nancy Graves: A Catalogue Raisonne. New York: Hudson Hills Press; Fort Worth: The Fort Worth Art Museum, 1987.
- 1999, Impressionism: Paintings Collected by European Museums, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, G.A.; Seattle Art Museum, Seattle, W.A.; Denver Art Museum, Denver, C.O. [Managing Curator]
- 1996, Rings: Five Passions in World Art, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, G.A., The Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games Cultural Olympiad. [Managing Curator]
- 1990, George Caleb Bingham, The Saint Louis Art Museum. Saint Louis, M.O.; The National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
- 1989-1990, Philip Guston: 50 Years of Painting, The Saint Louis Art Museum, Saint Louis, M.O; The Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, T.X.
- 1988, New Sculpture/Six Artists, The Saint Louis Art Museum, Saint Louis, M.O.
- 1988, Modern Art from the Pulitzer Collection: Fifty Years of Connoisseurship, The Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, M.A., The Saint Louis Art Museum, Saint Louis, M.O.
Alliance of American Museums
Terra Foundation for American Art
Appointed to the Faculty: 2019
Ph.D., Harvard University
M.A., Harvard University
M.A., Williams College
B.A., Hamilton College