Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Sarah Morrison-Smith received her Ph.D. in human-centered computing at the University of Florida, and her master's degree in computer science at Colorado State University. Before joining Hamilton, she was a Roman Family Teaching and Research Fellow at Barnard College, where she taught computer science courses. Her research focuses on the intersection of psychology and computer science to support collaborative work and help build an accessible technological future. Morrison-Smith will offer a range of interdisciplinary courses on computer science and human-computer interaction at Hamilton.
Recent Courses Taught
Principles of Programming Languages
Developing Accessible User Interfaces
Morrison-Smith’s research interests include supporting collaborative research activities, natural user interfaces for mobile devices and wearables, and promoting accessibility in computer science education.
- NSF CRII: RUI: Transparency and Access Control in Life Science Data Sharing, 2022
- Google Explore CS Research (exploreCSR)
- S. Morrison-Smith, J. Ruiz. Challenges and Barriers in Virtual Teams: A Literature Review. SN Applied Sciences 2020
- S. Morrison-Smith, C. Boucher, A. Sarcevic, N. Noyes, C. O’Brien, N. Cuadros, and J. Ruiz. 2022. Challenges in large-scale bioinformatics projects. Humanities and Social Sciences Communications 9, 125 (2022).
- S. Morrison-Smith, L. Chilton, and J. Ruiz. 2021. AmbiTeam: Providing Team Awareness Through Ambient Displays. Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Graphics Interfaces (GI ’21), ACM.
- A. Goldman, C. Espinosa, S. Patel, F. Cavuoti, J. Chen, A. Cheng, S. Meng, A. Patil, L. B. Chilton, S. Morrison-Smith, QuAD: Deep-Learning Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis with Affinity Diagrams, CHI ’22 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM (2022).
- S. Morrison-Smith, M. Hofmann, Y. Li, and J. Ruiz. Using Audio Cues to Support Motion Gesture Interaction on Mobile Devices. ACM Transactions on Applied Perception (TAP) 13.3 (2016): 16.
Appointed to the Faculty2022
Ph.D., University of Florida
M.S., Colorado State University
B.S., Montana State University