Lecturer in Music (Voice)Schambach Center 210
Sharon West graduated from Bowling Green State University on full scholarship in voice performance, then was accepted into the Opera Theatre Program at Manhattan School of Music on full scholarship for her master’s degree. Robert DeCormier introduced her to the Mostly Mozart Festival audience at Lincoln Center as lead soprano in Requiem.
As a lyric soprano, West specialized in Puccini and Verdi, performing as Cio Cio San in Madama Butterfly, Mimi in La Boheme, Leonora in Il Trovatore, Maddalena in Andre Chenier, and Angelica in Suor Angelica.
After a considerable performance career, West began to travel extensively with her husband Jon Fredric West, becoming his primary coach and business liaison. West had a full-time voice studio in New York City for 12 years. Teaching and coaching remain her greatest love.
Productions that she has coached include:
- Otello, at San Francisco Opera House, conducted by Donald Runnicles
- Pagliacci at Baltimore Lyric Opera, conducted by Christian Badea
- Turandot at New York City Opera, conducted by Christopher Keene
- Tristan und Isolde at Munich Staatsoper, under baton of Zubin Mehta
- Tristan und Isolde at reopening of the Prinzregententheater in Munich, Lorin Maazel conducting
- Tannhauser and Der Ring von der Nibelungen at the Metropolitan Opera, James Levine conducting
- Samson et Dahlia in Zurich, conducted by Bruno Bartoletto
M.Mus., Manhattan School of Music
B.Mus., Bowling Green State University