Lecturer in Music (Voice)Schambach Center 210
Sharon West graduated from Bowling Green State University on Full Scholarship in Voice Performance followed by acceptance to the Opera Theatre Program at Manhattan School of Music in NYC on Full Scholarship for her Master’s Degree. Robert DeCormier soon introduced her in the Mostly Mozart Festival audience at Lincoln Center as lead soprano in ‘Mozart’s Requiem.
Dedication to her career as a lyric soprano found her specializing in Puccini and Verdi with Cio Cio San in ‘Madama Butterfly,’ Mimi in ‘La Boheme,’ Leonora in ‘Il Trovatore,’ Maddalena in ‘Andre Chenier’ and Angelica in ‘Suor Angelica’.
After considerable performing, Ms. West began to travel extensively with her husband Jon Fredric West becoming his primary coach and business liaison.
Mr. West was “the most convincingly cast Siegfried in the opera house today” in Wagner’s ‘Der Ring von der Nibelungen’.
Productions that she has coached are:
- ‘Otello’, at San Francisco Opera House conducted by Donald Runnicles
- ‘Pagliacci’ at Baltimore Lyric Opera conducted by Christian Badea
- ‘Turandot’ at New York City Opera conducted by Christopher Keene
- ‘Tristan und Isolde’ at Munich Staatsoper under baton of Zubin Mehta’
- ‘Tristan und Isolde’ at Re-opening of the Prinzregententheater in Munich,
- Lorin Maazel conducting
- ‘Tannhauser’ at The Metropolitan Opera James Levine conducting
- Der Ring von der Nibelungen at the Metropolitan Opera Levine conducting
- ‘Samson et Dahlia’ in Zurich conducted by Bruno Bartoletto
Ms West had a full time voice studio in NYC for 12 years. Teaching and coaching remain her greatest love.
M.Mus., Manhattan School of Music
B.Mus., Bowling Green State University