Associate Professor of Statistics, Director of Data Science
Chinthaka Kuruwita's research is focused on new regression models. In the U.S. he was involved in developing a new modeling strategy to assess suicidal risk of adolescents, work that was published in Journal of Adolescent Health (2009). He received a bachelor's degree in statistics from the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka, and came to the U.S. to pursue graduate studies in 2005. Kuruwita earned a master's degree and doctorate in mathematical sciences with a concentration in statistics from Clemson University.
Recent Courses Taught
Mathematical Statistics and Applications
Senior Seminar in Statistics
- Clayton V. Auconi Outstanding Master's Student Award, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Clemson University, 2005-06
- Best Undergraduate Research in Statistics, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, 2004
- Department of Statistics Gold Medal for best senior year thesis, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2003
- V.W. Samaranayake Memorial Gold Medal for Statistics, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2003
- Kuruwita, C.N., Gallagher, C.M., Kulasekera, K.B. (2014) "Testing Equality of Nonparametric Quantile Regression Functions," International Journal of Statistics and Probability, Vol. 3, 55-66.
- Thayasivam, U., Shetty, S. Kuruwita, C.N., Ramachandran, R. (2012) "Detection of Anomalies in Network Traffic Using L2E for Accurate Speaker Recognition," Proceedings of the IEEE 55th International Midwest Symposium on Circuits & Systems, 884-887.
- Kuruwita, C.N., Kulasekera, K.B., Gallagher, C.M. (2011) "Generalized Varying Coefficient Models with Unknown Link Functions," Biometrika, Vol. 98, 701-710.
- Kuruwita, C.N., Kulasekera, K.B., Padgett, W.J. (2010). "Density Estimation using Asymmetric Kernels and Bayes Bandwidths with Censored Data," Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference Vol. 140, 1765-1774.
- Thompson, M., Kuruwita, C.N., Foster, E.M. (2009). "Transitions in Suicide Risk in a Nationally Representative Sample of Adolescents," Journal of Adolescent Health Vol. 44, 458-463.
Institute of Mathematical Statistics
American Mathematical Society
Appointed to the Faculty2011
Ph.D., Clemson University
M.S., Clemson University
B.Sc., University of Colombo