Professor of GeosciencesTaylor Science Center 1008
Cynthia Domack, who joined the Hamilton faculty in 1985, specializes in paleontology, oceanography and coastal geology. She is also interested in meteorology. Her research has centered on micropaleontology, and she has published papers for Paleobiology and the Journal of Geoscience Education. Domack received the Excellence in Teaching Award for her work at Hamilton. She earned her doctorate in geology from Rice University.
Recent Courses Taught
Coastal Geology & Environmental Oceanography
Advanced Paleontology: Special Topics in Paleobiology and the Fossil Record
- Summer Opportunity Program faculty member, 2001-present
- Hamilton College Margaret Scott Bundy Fellowship, fall 1991
- Hamilton College Excellence in Teaching Award, 1990
- Houston Geological Society Outstanding Student Award, 1984
- The Rice University Geology Dept. L. C. Gibbon Teaching Award, 1983
- Maurice Ewing Graduate Fellowship in Geology, Rice University, 1980-84
- The Colby College Geology Alumni Award and the Geology Department Award, 1980
- Colby College student grant for foraminifera study at the Bermuda Biological Station, 1980
- Woods Hole Women's Club Scholarship, 1976
Selected Abstracts and Publications
- Tifft, W. D., and Domack, C. R., 2014. “A Reference Collection of Middle Devonian Upper Hamilton Group Brachiopods from the Geer Road Quarry.” The Geological Society of America, Northeast Section Meeting in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, March 2014.
- Livsey, C., and Domack, C. R., 2012. “A Laboratory Exercise Utilizing Eocene Fish Fossils From the Green River Formation.” The Geological Society of America, Northeast Section Meeting in Hartford, Connecticut, March 2012.
- Soja, C., and Domack, C., 2012. “A Census of Devonian Life in Central New York: Fossil Collecting for Teachers and Students.” Field Trip Guidebook, New York State Geological Association, 84th Annual Meeting, Hamilton College, p. A5:1-A5:3.
- Simmons, G. M., and Domack, C. R., 2010. “Beach Nourishment on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.” The Geological Society of America, Northeast Section and Southeast Section Joint Meeting in Baltimore, March 2010.
- Bromley, S. F., and Domack, C. R., 2008. “Analysis of a Foraminifera Assemblage: A Micropaleontology Exercise.” The Geological Society of America, Northeast Section Meeting in Buffalo, March, 2008.
- Spratford, B. S., and Domack, C. R., 2008. “Time Series Analysis of Shoreline Changes at the Eastern End of Long Island, New York.” The Geological Society of America, Northeast Section Meeting in Buffalo, March, 2008.
- Domack, C. R., Tollerton, V. P., Gapp, I. W., Fischetti, J., and Ferruzola, M., 2008. “Fossils of the Utica Shale: A Teaching Module and Reference Collection.” The Geological Society of America, Northeast Section Meeting in Buffalo, 2008.
- Fellows-Swenson, C., Tollerton, V. P., and Domack, C. R., 2007, “A Guide to the Eurypterid Collecting Localities in the Bertie Formation of Central New York.” The Geological Society of America, Northeast Section Meeting in Durham, N.H., March, 2007.
- Landauer, A.D., and Domack, C. R., 2004. “An Enrichment Program in Paleontology for Third and Fourth Grade Students at the Clinton Elementary School in Clinton, New York.” The Geological Society of America, Northeastern Section and Southeastern Section Joint Meeting in Washington, D.C., March, 2004.
- Domack, C., 2000. “A Service-Learning Component in a Paleontology Course as a Model for Community Outreach by Geology Students.” Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 48, p. 59-62.
- Domack, C. R., 1999. “Teaching Introductory Meteorology Through an Observation-Oriented Term Project.” Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 47, p. 260-265.
- Domack, E. W., Burkley, L. A., Domack, C. R., and Banks, M. R. 1993. “Facies Analysis of Glacial Marine Pebbly Mudstones in the Tasmania Basin: Implications for Regional Paleoclimates during the late Paleozoic.” In: Findlay, Urirug, Banks, and Veerers (Eds.) Gondwana Eight (Proceedings of the Eighth Gondwana Symposium in Tasmania), Balkema, Rotterdam, p. 471-484.
- Domack, E. W., and Domack, C. R., 1991. Cenozoic Glaciation: The Marine Record Established by Ocean Drilling. Joint Oceanographic Institutions, Inc., Washington, D.C.
- Domack, C.R., 1986. “Reconstruction of the California Current at 5, 8, and 10 Million Years B.P. Using Radiolarian Indicators.” S.E.P.M. Pacific Section Spec. Pub.
- Weinheimer, A. L., Carson, T. L., Wigley, C. R., and Casey, R. E., 1986. “Radiolarian Responses to Recent and Neogene California El Nino and Anti-El Nino Events.” Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 53: 3-25.
- Casey, R. E., and Wigley, C. R., in 1985. “Radiolarian Zonations of the Antarctic, and a Comparison of Zonations with a New Neogene Deep-living Radiolarian Zonation.” Antarctic Research Series Volume.
- Casey, R. E., Wigley, C. R., and Perez, A.M., 1983. “Biogeographic and Ecological Perspective on Polycystine Radiolarian Evolution.” Paleobiology, 9(4): 363-376.
- Wigley, C. R., 1982. “Comparison of Radiolarian Thanatocoenosis and Biocoenosis from the Oligotrophic Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean, and the Eutrophic Southern California Sea.” Gulf Coast Assoc. Geol. Soc., Trans., 32: 309-317.
- Casey, R. E., Wigley, C., Fisco, P., Sloan, J., and Schwarzer, R., 1982. “Effects on and Recovery of Microplankton and Microbenthon to Gulf of Mexico Oil Spills Impacting Outer and Mid shelfal, Inner Shelfal, and Estuarine Environments.” Proc. of the Fourteenth Offshore Technology Conf. 4/pp. 449-459.
- Casey, R., Sloan, J., Anderson, J., Koehler, R., Schwarzer, R., and Wigley, C., 1981. “Preliminary Results From a Year's Study of the Impact on and the Recovery of Microplankton and Microbenthon Following the Burmah Agate Oil Spill." Gulf Coast Assoc. of Geological Soc., Suppl. to Trans., vol. 31.
- Student Fellowships Committee, 2012-15
- Board of Advisors, 1986-present
- Alumni Council, 1988; 2000-03
- Americans with Disabilities Act Access Committee, 1998-2002
- Committee on Prizes and Awards, 1999
- Dean of Faculty Search Committee, 1994
- Advisory Committee for the Christian Johnson Teaching Award, 1993
- Dean of Faculty Review Committee, 1992
- Committee on Academic Policy, 1990-93
- Executive Committee of Sigma Xi, Hamilton College Chapter, 1991
- Sigma Xi co-vice president/president, Hamilton College Chapter, 1988-90
- Faculty Committee on Admissions and Financial Aid, 1987-90
Geologic Society of America
National Association of Geoscience Teachers
Association for Women Geoscientists
- Professor of Geosciences, Hamilton College, 2001-present
- Associate Professor of Geology, Hamilton College, 1992-2001
- Assistant Professor of Geology, Hamilton College, 1985-1992
- Hamilton College Summer Opportunity Program, 1999-present
- Hamilton College Elderhostel, summer 1998-2003
- Center for Talented Youth faculty, 1986-88
- Utica College adjunct faculty, 1986-88
- Curator for paleontologic and stratigraphic collections, Department of Geology, Rice University, 1982
- Teaching assistant, Department of Geology, Rice University, 1980-84
- Laboratory assistant, Department of Geology, Colby College, 1978-79
- Weather office volunteer, Otis Air Force Base, 1979
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, summers 1976-1978, 1980
Appointed to the Faculty: 1985
Ph.D., Rice University
M.A., Rice University
B.A., Colby College