Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Darren Strash’s research interests center on graph algorithms for large social networks and web-crawl graphs. His additional areas of expertise include computational geometry, graph drawing, subgraph counting and listing, dynamic data structures, combinatorial optimization, and heuristic algorithms.
Before coming to Hamilton, Strash was a visiting assistant professor at Colgate University. Before Colgate, he spent two years in Germany as a postdoctoral researcher at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology’s Institute of Theoretical Informatics. Strash worked for three years as a software engineer at Intel.
In his free time, he enjoys playing strategic board games, reading sci-fi and fantasy novels, and contributing to openstreetmap.org. Strash earned his bachelor’s in computer science from Cal Poly Pomona and his doctorate from the University of California, Irvine.
Recent Courses Taught
- C. Schulz and D. Strash, “Graph Partitioning: Formulations and Applications to Big Data,” Encyclopedia on Big Data Technologies, Springer, 2018, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-63962-8_312-2.
- D. Funke, S. Lamm, P. Sanders, C. Schulz, D. Strash, and M. von Looz, “Communication-Free Massively Distributed Graph Generation,” Proc. 32nd IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2018), 2018, pp. 336–347, doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2018.00043. (best paper award)
- P. San Segundo, J. Artieda, and D. Strash, “Efficiently Enumerating all Maximal Cliques with Bit-Parallelism,” Computer & Operations Research, 92, 2017, pp. 37-46, doi:10.1016/j.cor.2017.12.006.
- P. Sanders, C. Schulz, D. Strash, and R. Williger, “Distributed Evolutionary k-way Node Separators,” Proc. Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computing and Combinatorial Optimization (GECCO 2017), 2017, pp. 345-352, doi:10.1145/3071178.3071204. (best paper nomination)
- S. Lamm, P. Sanders, C. Schulz, D. Strash, R. F. Werneck, “Finding Near-Optimal Independent Sets at Scale,” Journal of Heuristics, 23(4), 2017, pp. 207-229, doi:10.1007/s10732-017-9337-x.
Appointed to the Faculty2018
Ph.D., University of California, Irvine
M.S., University of California, Irvine
B.S., Cal Poly Pomona