Chair, Professor of GeosciencesTaylor Science Center 1022
David Bailey's current research focuses on the history of igneous and tectonic activity in the northeastern United States and on the mineralogy of New York State. He is a recipient of National Science Foundation ILI and CCLI grants and is a research associate of the New York State Museum. Baily has written numerous peer-reviewed papers, conference abstracts and field trip guides. He earned his doctorate from Washington State University. His dissertation focused on geochemistry and petrogenesis of Miocene volcanic rocks in the Powder River Volcanic Field, northeast Oregon.
Recent Courses Taught
Principles of Geosciences: Earth Resources and the Environment
Origins of Natural Systems
Igneous & Metamorphic Petrology
History of igneous and tectonic activity in the northeastern United States
Mineralogy of New York State
Recipient of National Science Foundation ILI and CCLI grants
Board of Directors, New York State Academy of Mineralogy
Recipient of the Dean’s Scholarly Achievement Award, Hamilton College
President, New York State Geological Association, 1997 and 2012
- Bailey, D.G. and Lupulescu, M.V., (2015), Spatial, temporal and compositional variation in kimberlitic magmatism in New York State: Lithos, v.212-215, p.298-310.
- Newlander, K., Goodale, N., Jones, G.T. and Bailey, D.G., (2015), Empirical study of the effects of analytical counting times on pXRF data: Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, (in press)
- Goodale, N., Hill, K., Bailey, D.G., Nauman, A., Prentiss, A., Rubinstein, E., Wegter, B., and Newlander, K., (20 15): Geochemical Characterization of Fur Trade Period Floor Sediments from Housepit 54, Bridge River Housepit Village. In Anna M. Prentiss (editor) The Last House at Bridge River: The Archaeology of an Aboriginal Household in British Columbia during the Fur Trade Period. Edited volume in review with Utah Press, Salt Lake City (in press).
- Chamberlain, S.C., Lupulescu, M., Bailey, D.G., (20 15), The classic Danburite occurrence near Russell, St. Lawrence Co., New York: Rocks & Minerals, v.90, #3, p.212-221. Bailey, D.G. and Lupulescu, M.V., (2015), Spatial, temporal and compositional variation in kimberlitic magmatism in New York State: Lithos, v.212-215, p.298-310.
- McHone, J.G., West, D.P., Hussey, A.M., and Bailey, D.G., (2014), The Christmas Cove dyke of coastal Maine, USA and regional sources for Early Mesozoic Flood Basalts in northeastern North America: Atlantic Geology, v.50, p.66-90.
- Lupulescu, M.V., Bailey, D.G., Hawkins, M., Carl, J.D., Chiarenzelli, J.R., (2014), The Benson Mines, St. Lawrence County, New York; History of the Discovery, Mining, and Mineralogy of the Deposit: Rocks & Minerals, v.89, p.119-131.
Chair, Geosciences Department, 2015
Mentor, Miami Posse 1, 2010-14
Acting chair, Geosciences Department, 2009-10, 2013
Committee on Academic Standing, 2008-11
Chair, Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Grievance Board, 2006-07
Chair, Committee on Academic Policy, 2005-06
Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Grievance Board, 2004-06
Committee on Academic Policy, 2003-05
Co-chair; Geoarchaeology Program, 2001-present
Science Building Planning Committee, 1996-2005
Radiation Safety Committee, 1993-present
New York State Academy of Mineralogy
New York State Geological Association
Mineralogical Society of America
Research associate, New York State Museum
Geological Society of America
Appointed to the Faculty: 1997
Ph.D., Washington State University
M.Sc.; Dalhousie University
B.Sc.; Bates College
Kayaking, drums and guitar