Visiting Assistant Professor of GovernmentKirner-Johnson 115
David Rivera earned his A.B. in Russian and Soviet studies from Harvard (1988) and his Ph.D. from the University of Michigan (1999). His teaching and research interests include both international relations and comparative politics, with special interests in the international politics of Eurasia, post-communist democratization, and the composition of the Russian elite. From 1994-1996 Rivera served as director of the Harvard Russian Institute of International Affairs in Moscow. He has authored or co-authored articles in Perspectives on Politics (2009), Political Science Quarterly (2003), Post-Soviet Affairs (2006 and 2014), Politicheskie issledovaniya [Research on Politics] (Russia’s premier political science journal) (2012), Mir i Politika [The World and Politics] (2010), and Obozrevatel’-Observer (2005).
Recent Courses Taught
Politics in Russia
Russia and the World
Transitions to Democracy
- Reviewer for Palgrave Macmillan (2016), Demokratizatsiya (2009) and Routledge Press (2005).
- Grants for Student-Faculty Collaboration from the Arthur Levitt Public Affairs Center at Hamilton College, 2005, 2007, 2008.
- Post-doctoral Fellowship from the Consortium for a Strong Minority Presence at Liberal Arts Colleges, 2002-03.
- “The Militarization of the Russian Elite under Putin: What We Know, What We Think We Know (but Don’t), and What We Need to Know.” With Sharon Werning Rivera. Accepted for publication in Problems of Post-Communism.
- “Is Russia a Militocracy? Conceptual Issues and Extant Findings Regarding Elite Militarization.” Post-Soviet Affairs, Vol. 30, No. 1 (2014). With Sharon Werning Rivera.
- “Yeltsin, Putin, and Clinton: Presidential Leadership and Russian Democratization in Comparative Perspective.” Perspectives on Politics, Vol. 7, No. 3 (September 2009), pp. 591-610. With Sharon Werning Rivera. (Copyright Cambridge University Press.)
- “The Russian Elite under Putin: Militocratic or Bourgeois?” Post-Soviet Affairs, Vol. 22, No. 2 (April-June 2006), pp. 125-144. With Sharon Werning Rivera.
- “Engagement, Containment, and the International Politics of Eurasia,” Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 118, No. 1 (Spring 2003), pp. 81-106.
- “Ability, Virtue, and Donald Trump: What Alexander Hamilton Would Say about the 2016 Election,” Medium.org, November 16, 2016. With Sharon Werning Rivera.
- “‘Thin Skin’ and Presidents: A Dangerous Combination?” Medium.org, October 13, 2016.
Ph.D., University of Michigan
M.A., University of Michigan
A.B., Harvard University