Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy202 College Hill Road, Room 208
Douglas Edwards works mainly on issues in metaphysics, philosophy of language, and metaethics, particularly theories of truth. He is the author of Properties (Polity Press, 2014) and numerous journal articles on truth. He is currently working on a monograph, The Metaphysics of Truth (Oxford University Press), and an anthology, Truth: A Contemporary Reader (Bloomsbury Press).
Edwards has received two major research awards: a Marie Curie Fellowship from the European Commission and a Government of Ireland Research Fellowship. He received his doctorate from the University of St. Andrews and previously held posts at University College Dublin and the University of Aberdeen.
Recent Courses Taught
Life and Death
The Nature and Value of Truth
Objects and Properties
History of Western Philosophy, Ancient
- Marie Curie Intra-European Career Development Award, European Commission, 2011
- Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Award, Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, 2009
- Arts and Humanities Research Council Doctoral Fellowship Award, Arts and Humanities Research Council, 2007
- "Truth as a Relational Property", Synthese, Vol. 193, No. 11, December 2016.
- Properties. Polity Press, 2014.
- “From Truth Pluralism to Ontological Pluralism and Back”, Journal of Philosophy. Forthcoming. (With A. J. Cotnoir)
- “Truth and Naturalism”, The Blackwell Companion to Naturalism. Forthcoming. (With Filippo Ferrari and Michael P. Lynch)
- “Why Properties Matter”, The Philosophers’ Magazine, Issue 68, 1st Quarter 2015.
- “The Eligibility of Ethical Naturalism”, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly. Vol. 94, Issue 1: 1-18. March 2013.
- “Truth, Winning, and Simple Determination Pluralism”, in N. J. L. L. Pedersen and C.D. Wright (eds.): Truth and Pluralism: Current Debates. Oxford University Press: 113-122. February 2013.
- “Naturalness, Representation, and the Metaphysics of Truth”, European Journal of Philosophy. Vol. 21, Issue 3: 384-401. September 2013.
- “Pluralist Theories of Truth”, Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy (eds. J. Fieser and B. Dowden). Published online March 2012.
- “On Alethic Disjunctivism”, Dialectica. Vol. 66, Issue 1: 200-214, March 2012.
- “Alethic vs Deflationary Functionalism”, International Journal of Philosophical Studies, Vol. 20, Issue 1: 115-125, February 2012.
- “Truth as One(s) and Many: on Lynch’s alethic functionalism”, Analytic Philosophy, Vol. 52, Issue 3: 213-230, September 2011. (With N.J.L.L. Pedersen)
- “Simplifying Alethic Pluralism”, The Southern Journal of Philosophy. Vol. 49, Issue 1, March 2011.
- “Truth-conditions and the nature of truth”, Analysis, Vol. 69 No. 4: 684-688, October 2009.
- “How to solve the problem of mixed conjunctions”, Analysis, Vol. 68 No. 2: 143-149, April 2008.
- “Truth as a Substantive Property”, Australasian Journal of Philosophy. Vol. 91, No. 2: 279-294. May 2013.
Appointed to the Faculty: 2014
Ph.D., University of St. Andrews
M.Litt., University of St. Andrews
B.A.,University of Kent