Professor of Psychology Emeritusdweldon@hamilton.edu
Douglas Weldon’s research interests include the brain mechanisms of attention, the developmental neurobiology of learning and memory, and the role of calcium-binding proteins in neural plasticity. He is a recipient of a National Research Service Award from the National Institute of Mental Health, and his work has been published in journals that include Behavioral Neuroscience, Behavioral Brain Research and the Journal of Neuroscience Education. Weldon received the Samuel and Helen Lang Prize for Excellence in Teaching in 2010. He earned his doctorate from the University at Buffalo and is a fellow of the American Psychological Association.
- Weldon, D. A. (2017). Effects of Environmental Pollutants on Neurodevelopment: The Need for Regulation. [Review of Demeneix, B. (2017). Toxic Cocktail: How Chemical Pollution Is Poisoning Our Brains]. PsycCRITIQUES, 62(25).
- Johnson, B. R. & Weldon, D. A. (2016). Book Review: “The Mind’s Machine: Foundations of Brain and Behavior.” Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, 14(2): R32-R33. [Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience e-journal] http://www.funjournal.org
- Weldon, D. A. (2015). Cognitive neuroscience: A progress report. [Review of the Oxford Handbook of Cognitive Neuroscience, Volumes 1 and 2, edited by Kevin N. Ochsner and Stephen M. Kosslyn (Eds.)]. PsycCRITIQUES, 60(14): 6.
- Weldon, D. A. & Johnson, B. R. (2013). Book review: “Brain Architecture: Understanding the Basic Plan.” Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, 12(1): R3-R4. [Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience e-journal], http://www.funjournal.org.
- Weldon, D. A. (2012). "Planning and designing spaces for the sciences." Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, 11(1): A114-A118. [Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience e-journal]; http://www.funjournal.org.
- Weldon, D. A. (2009). Media review: "Dissection of the Human Brain." Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, 7(2): R1. [Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience e-journal]; http://www.funjournal.org.
- Weldon, D. A., Patterson, C. A., Colligan, E. A., Nemeth, C. L., & Rizio, A. A. (2008). "Single unit activity in the rat superior colliculus during reward magnitude task performance." Behavioral Neuroscience, 122(1): 183-190.
- Weldon, D.A., DiNieri, J. A,, Silver, M. R., Thomas, A. A., & Wright, R E. (2007). "Reward-related neuronal activity in the rat superior colliculus." Behavioural Brain Research, 177: 160-164.
- Reynolds, N. & Weldon, D. A. (2006). "Hamilton College Science Center." In D. Oblinger (Ed.), Learning Spaces (Chapter 21) [EDUCAUSE e-Book]. http://www.educause.edu/books/learningspaces/10569.
- Weldon, D. A. & Lehman, H. K. (2001). "Paul Greengard and signal transduction in neurons." Hamilton Alumni Review, winter-spring, 23.
- Weldon, D. A., Fedorcik, G. G., Lorusso, C. M., Tiburzi, M. T., and Lenoci, J. M. (1997). "Olfactory conditioning impairment following posttraining glutamate receptor blockade in neonatal rats." Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 67: 34-42.
- Weldon, D. A. & Best, P. J. (1992). "Changes in sensory responsivity in deep layer neurons of the superior colliculus of behaving rats." Behavioural Brain Research, 47: 97-101.
- Weldon, D. A., Travis, M. L., & Kennedy, D. A. (1991). "Post-training D1 receptor blockade impairs odor conditioning in neonatal rats." Behavioral Neuroscience, 105: 450-458.
- Best, P. J., Weldon, D. A. & Stokes, K. A. (1990). "Lesions of mediodorsal thalamic nucleus cause deficits in attention to changes in environmental cues without causing sensory deficits." In A. Diamond (Ed.) The Development and Neural Bases of Higher Cognitive Functions. New York: New York Academy of Sciences.
- Laffan, E. W., Lisciotto, C. A., Gapp, D. A. & Weldon, D. A. (1989). "Development of rotorod performance in normal and hypothyroid mutant mice." Behavioral and Neural Biology, 52: 411-416.
- Wool, R. S., Weldon, D. A., Shaywitz, B. A., Anderson, G. M., Cohen, D. J., & Teicher, M. H. (1987). "Amphetamine reverses learning deficits in 6-hydroxydopamine treated rat pups." Developmental Psychobiology, 20: 219-232.
- Weldon, D. A., Calabrese, L. C., & Nicklaus, K. (1983). "Rotational behavior following cholinergic stimulation of the superior colliculus in rats." Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, 19: 813-820.
- Weldon, D. A., Wool, R. S., Teicher, M. H., Shaywitz, B. A., Cohen, D. J., & Anderson, G. M. (1982). "Effects of apomorphine on appetitive conditioning in 6-hydroxydopamine treated rat pups." Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, 17: 1281-1284.
- Coordinator of Science Curriculum and Facilities, 1996-2005
- On-Campus Planning Committee, 1998-2000
- Y2K Contingency Committee, 1998-2000
- Committee on Appointments, 1994-97, 2011-14; chair 2013-14
- Committee on Coeducation, 1983-85
- Hamilton College Senior Fellowship Program; director, 1983-86, 1989
- Committee on Academic Policy, 1982-86; chair 1984-85
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, 1984-2016; chair 1984-86, 1994-2016
- Library Committee, 1991-93, 2000-02
- Sexual Harassment Grievance Board, 1987-88, 1989-90; chair 1987-88
- Trustees Planning Committee, 1985-88
- Supervisor, Animal Facilities for Departments of Biology and Psychology, 1979-86, 1989, 1996-2016
American Psychological Association
Foundation for Undergraduate Neuroscience
Society for Neuroscience
Appointed to the Faculty: 1978
Ph.D., State University of New York at Buffalo
A.M., Towson State University
A.B., The College of Wooster