Maynard-Knox Professor of Law, Director of Public Policy
Frank Anechiarico studies constitutional law and public administration. He is managing editor of Public Integrity, a journal of the American Society of Public Administration. He co-authored with James Jacobs The Pursuit of Absolute Integrity and with Eugene Lewis Urban America: Politics and Policy. Anechiarico is widely published in scholarly journals including Public Administration Review, Urban Affairs Quarterly and Criminal Justice Ethics. Anechiarico was a research fellow of the Center for Research on Crime and Justice at New York University Law School during 1991-92 and at NYU Law School in 2003. He was distinguished visiting professor of law at the United States Air Force Academy in 2008-09. Other visiting positions include the United States Military Academy at West Point, John Jay College of Criminal Justice and Linnaeus University, Sweden.
Recent Courses Taught
Survey of Constitutional Law
The Classical Tradition in American Political Life: Cicero, Hamilton, Jefferson and the Making of the Republic
Introduction to Public Policy
Seminar: Criminal Law
Public administration, law and organization, official corruption and urban politics
- Dean of Faculty Award for Outstanding Research Year, Hamilton College
- Samuel and Helen Lang Excellence in Teaching Award, Hamilton College
- Pentagon Society Community Service Award, Hamilton College
- New York State Lehman Fellowship Award
- Phi Beta Kappa
- "The Political Economy of Conflicts of Interest in an Era of Public-Private Governance," in Paul Heywood, ed. The Routledge Handbook on Political Corruption New York: Routledge, 2013, with Steffan Andersson.
- “The Moral Dimensions of Security Outsourcing,” in Carol Jurkiewicz, ed. The Foundations of Organizational Evil (Armonk, N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe, 2012, ch. 15), with John Dehn.
- “Twining Effectiveness and Integrity: Lessons from Management Reforms in the Fight Against Police Corruption in New York City,” Journal of Police Studies/Cahiers Politiestudies, 2012, nr. 24, pp. 211-233, with Dennis C. Smith
- Co-author, “The Joint Pursuit of Government Integrity and High Performance,” Government Law and Policy Journal, Winter 2011, vol. 13, no.2, with Dennis C. Smith.
- “La corrupción y el control de la corrupción como impedimentos para la competitividad económica,” Gestion y Politica Publica (Mexico) Volumen XIX, No. 2 de 2010.
- “Protecting Integrity at the Local Level: The Role of Anti-corruption Agencies,” Crime, Law and Social Change (spring, 2010).
- “Looking Back to Go Forward: Remaking Detainee Policy,” National Security Law Report, American Bar Association (April/May 2009), with Col. James Durant III, USAF.
- Local Integrity Systems: World Cities Fighting Corruption (The Hague: BJu Legal Publishers, 2008, with L.W.J.C. Huberts and Frederique Six.
- “Procurement and a New Legal Paradigm for Prosecutors,” Wayne State Law Review, fall, 2007.
- “Monitoring Integrity: The Independent Private Sector Inspector General Program,” with Ronald Goldstock, in Public Integrity, summer, 2007.
- “Procuring Integrity: Oversight, Inspection and the Politics of Public Contracting,” in Martin Kreutner, ed. The Corruption Monster: Ethik, Politik und Korruption (Vienna: Czernin Verlag, 2006). [English and German].
- “The Socio-Cultural Perspective on Corruption in the United States,” Proceedings of the European Union Conference on Corruption Control, November, 2004, 2005.
- “The Cure for a Public Disease: The Foibles and Future of Corruption Control," in H. George Frederickson and Richard Ghere, eds. Ethics in Public Management (London and New York: M.E. Sharpe, 2005).
- “Corruption Control at Ground Zero,” in William Hefferan and John Kleinig. Private and Public Corruption (Rowman and Littlefield, 2005).
- Director, Security Program, Levitt Center for Public Affairs, 2010 to present
- Chair, Hamilton College Department of Government, 1994-1996; 2003-2005
- Posse Foundation mentor, Miami 3, 2012-14
- Director, Hamilton Program in Washington, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1985, 1989, 1993, 1996, 1998, 1999. 2001, 2002, 2003, spring and fall 2007
- Committee on Appointments, 2004 - 2005
- Founding administrator, Hamilton in New York City: Political Economy and Culture in the Global City, 2001-present, director, spring, 2001; fall, 2005
- Committee on Coordination with Colgate University, 2000-2010
- Director, Arthur Levitt Public Policy Center, 1986-88; 1990-91, board member, 1999
- Committee on Legal Education, 1978-81; 1983-1985; 1992- 1996
- Committee on Appointments, 1990-93
- Africana Studies Committee, acting chair, 1989
- Ad Hoc Committee on African-American Studies, 1986-88
- Ad Hoc Committee on Fraternities, 1986
- Academic Council, 1984-87
- Admissions Board, 1982-85
- Public Policy Program advisor, 1980-81
- Committee on Academic Policy, 1979-81
- Committee on Academic Standing, 1979
- Editorial Board, Public Integrity, a journal of the American Society for Public Administration
- American Society for Public Administration
- New York City Procurement Policy Board, Oversight Committee, 2001-10
- Research Subcommittee on Police-Community Relations N.Y.S. Governor's Advisory Commission on Human Rights, 1986-90
- Oneida County Executive's Committee on Human Services Infrastructure, 1993-96
- Oneida County Community Services Board, 1998 to present (oversight of Department of Mental Health)
- New York State delegation to the Oneida Nation land claim settlement talks, 1999-2001
- U.S. Department of State, University to University Program, Mozambique
- New York State Organized Crime Task Force
- New York State negotiations with the Oneida Indian Nation
- New York State social service infrastructure
- New York State courts, Utica, Mental Health Court development
- Adjunct professor of public administration; member of the doctoral faculty, City University of New York
- Distinguished visiting professor of law, United States Air Force Academy
- Co-organizer and editor, New York City Mayor’s Conference on Public Integrity
- Co-editor/organizer, conference and volume with Prof. L.W.J.C. Huberts and Dr. Frederique Six
- Board member, Center for the Study of the Law of War, United States Military Academy
- Visiting professor, Department of Law, United States Military Academy
- Member, doctoral faculty, City University of New York
- Visiting professor, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Department of Public Management, Graduate Program in Inspection and Oversight
- Visiting assistant professor, State University of New York College of Technology
- Visiting assistant professor, University of Florida
- Visiting professor, Nankai University, Tianjin, China
- Senior research fellow, New York University
Appointed to the Faculty1976
A.B., Hamilton College
M.A., Indiana University
Ph.D., Indiana University