Litchfield Professor of Astronomy, Acting Chair of Chemical PhysicsTaylor Science Center G071
Gordon Jones' research interests include using neutrons to study fundamental symmetries and polarizing neutrons for use in materials science. On the fundamental side, Jones studies time reversal symmetry and weak interactions in nuclei. On the applied side, he builds devices used to understand magnetic materials such as the read heads in computer hard drives.
Jones has published papers in journals such as the Physical Review C, Journal of Applied Crystallography and Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. Jones previously worked as a NRC post-doc, NIST and a visiting scientist at Indiana University. He earned his doctorate in nuclear physics from Princeton University.
Recent Courses Taught
The Mechanical Universe
How Things Work
Three National Science Foundation grants
Five Department of Energy grants
Samuel and Helen Lang Prize for Excellence in Teaching, 2017
John R. Hatch, Class of 1925, Excellence in Teaching Award, Hamilton College, 2002
- “Measurement of the electron-antineutrino angular correlation in Neutron β Decay,” B. Darius, W.A. Byron, C.R. DeAngelis, M.T. Hassan, F.E. Weitfeldt, B. Collett, G.L. Jones, M.S. Dewey, M.P. Mendenhall, J.S. Nico, H. Park, A. Komives, and E.J. Stephenson, Phys. Rev. Let., 119, 042502 (2017).
- “aCORN: An experiment ot measure the electron-antineutrino correlation coefficient in free neutron decay,” B. Collett, F. Bateman, W.K. Bauder, J. Byrne, W.a. Byron, W. Chen, G. Darius, C. DeAngelis, M.S. Dewey, T.R. Gentile, M.T. Hassan, G.L. Jones, A. Komives, A. Laptev, M.P. Mendenhall, J.S. Nico, G. Noid, H. Park, E.J. Stephenson, I. Stern, K.J.S. Stockton, C. Trull, F.E. Weitfeldt, and B.G. Yerozolimsky, Rev. Sci. Inst., 88, 083503 (2017).
- “New Limit on Time-Reversal Violation in Beta Decay,” H.P. Mumm, T.E. Chupp, R.L. Cooper, K.P. Coulter, S.J. Freedman, B.K. Fujikawa, A. Garcia, G.L. Jones, J.S. Nico, A.K. Thompson, C.A. Trull, J.F. Wilkerson, F.E. Wietfeldt, Phys. Rev. Lett.,107, 102301 (2011).
- “Measurement of Parity-Violating Gamma-Ray Asymmetry in the Capture of Polarized Cold Neutrons on Protons,” M.T. Gericke, R. Alarcon, S. Balascuta, L. Barron-Palos, C. Blessinger, J.D. Bowman, R.D. Carlini, W. Chen, T.E. Chupp, C. Crawford, S. Covrig, M. Dabaghyan, N. Fomin, S.J. Freedman, T.R. Gentile, R.C. Gillis, G.L. Greene, F.W. Hersman, T. Ino, G.L. Jones, B. Lauss, M. Leuschner, W.R. Lozowski, R. Mahurin, Y. Masuda, J. Mei, G.S. Mitchell, S. Muto, H. Nann, S.A. Page, S.I. Penttila, W.D. Ramsay, A. Salas-Bacci, S. Santra, M. Sharma, P.-N. Seo, E.I. Sharapov, T.B. Smith, W.M. Snow, W.S. Wilburn, V. Yuan, Phys. Rev. C 83, 015505, (2011).
- “Test of a Continuously Polarized 3He Neutron Spin Filter with NMR-based Polarization Inversion on a Single Crystal Diffractometer,” G.L. Jones, F. Dias, B. Collett, W.C. Chen, T.R. Gentile, P.M.B. Piccoli, M.E. Miller, A.J. Schultz, H. Yan, X. Tong, W.M. Snow, W.T. Lee, C. Hoffmann, J. Thomison, Physica B 385, 1131 (2006).
- “Pulmonary Ventilation and Perfusion Scanning Using Hyperpolarized 3He MRI and Arterial Spin Tagging in Healthy Normal Subjects and in Pulmonary Embolism and Orthotopic Lung Transplant Patients,” D.A. Lipson, D.A. Roberts, J. Hansen-Flaschen, T.R. Gentile, G.L. Jones, A.K. Thompson, I.E. Dimitrov, H.I. Palevsky, J.S. Leigh, M. Schnall, R.R. Rizi, Mag. Res. In Med. 47, 1073 (2002).
Ph.D., Princeton University
M.A., Princeton University
B.A., Williams College