Professor of BiologyTaylor Science Center 2086
Herm Lehman's research is focused on the development and function of neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are molecules released by neurons and mediate communication throughout the nervous system; thus, the proper expression and maintenance of neurotransmitter levels is a critical, yet largely unknown, aspect of the metabolism of the neuron.
Recent Courses Taught
Fundamentals and Frontiers
General Biology: Cells to Ecosystems
Introduction to Public Health
- identification, characterization, and functional delineation of a novel group of monoxygenases structurally similar to dopamine and tyramine B-hydroxylase
- characterization of Vitamin C on cellular growth and development
- analysis of traumatic brain injury on learning and memory mechanism
- Review of NSF Rhode Island EPSCoR (member of a state-wide assessment team of program at all colleges and universities in RI). 2007-2011.
- Consortium for Higher Achievement and Success – Nellie Mae Foundation, 2006-07, “Improvement of the Math/Science climate for students of color at Hamilton College”, co-PI
- NSF, Behavioral Neuroscience Program, IBN-0212554, 2002-05, "Collaborative Research: Octopamine-mediated behavioral development in honey bees - Social and endocrine regulation of tyramine ß-hydroxylase", PI
- NSF, STEP, IBN-023043, 2003-05, “STEP: A multidisciplinary bridge program in a liberal arts setting”, co-PI.
- NSF, Research at Undergraduate Institutions, IBN-0310893., 2003-05, “Bioinformatic Technology In Biology Education”, co-PI.
- NSF, Instrument and Laboratory Improvement, DUE-9951375, 1999-01,“Calorimetry and Capillary Electrophoresis in the Undergraduate Teaching Laboratory”, PI
- Kanost, M.R., Lehman, H.K., Zucker, H and 98 others. Multifaceted Biological Insights from a Draft Genome Sequence of a Lepidopteran Insect, Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 76:118-147, 2016.
- Hayden, R., Goldberg, G., Ferguson, B., Schoeneck, M., Libardo, M., Mayeux, S., Shrestha , A., Bogardus, K., Hammer, J., Pryshchep, S., Lehman, H., McCormick, M., Blazyk, J., Angeles-Boza, A., Fu, R., Cotten, M. Complementary Effects of Host Defense Peptides Piscidin 1 and Piscidin 3 on DNA and Lipid Membranes: Biophysical Insights into Contrasting Biological Activities. Journal of Physical Chemistry Part B. 119 (49), pp 15235–15246. 2015
- Lehman, H. K. The Cellular and Molecular Biology of Octopaminergic Neurons. In: Biogenic Amines: Pharmacological, Neurochemical and Molecular Aspects in the CNS. Nova Publishers, 2010.
- Lehman, H.K., Schultz, D.J., Barron, A., Wraight, L., Hardison,C., Whitney, S., Takeuchi, H. and Robinson, G.E. Behavioral division of labor in honey bees: the role of tyramine beta-hydroxylase. J. Exp. Biol. 209: 2774-2784, 2006.
- Leverone JF, Spooner ET, Lehman HK, Clements JD, Lemere CA. Abeta1-15 is less immunogenic than Abeta1-40/42 for intranasal immunization of wild-type mice but may be effective for "boosting". Vaccine. 21:2206-2215, 2003.
- Lehman, H.K., Murgiuc, C.M., and Hildebrand, J.G. Characterization and developmental regulation of tyramine ß-hydroxylase in the CNS of a moth Manduca sexta. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 30: 377-386, 2000.
- Neuroscience Program chair
- Biology Department chair (2006-2012)
- Levitt Center, Director of Public Health and Well-Being Program
- Neuroscience Program Committee, past chair and member
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Program Committee, member
- Higher Educational Opportunity Program Committee, member
- Education Studies Program Committee, member
- Senior Fellowship Director
- Exploration Adventure leader
- Global Heath faculty advisor
- Academic liaison to Men’s Baseball
- Academic liaison to Men’s Hockey
- Biology Department chair, 2006-2012
Society for Neuroscience
Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology (SICB)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience (FUN)
Appointed to the Faculty: 1996
Ph.D. Physiology, Florida State University
B.S. Marine Biology, University of West Florida