Assistant Professor of Physics
Viva R. Horowitz built dynamic artificial cells as a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard and designed optomechanical gyroscopes as a postdoctoral research scholar at Caltech. Horowitz earned her doctorate in physics at UC Santa Barbara, where she built a new tool for magnetic imaging using the quantum bits in optically levitated nanocrystals of luminescent diamond.
She graduated with a bachelor's in physics from Swarthmore College and is excited to return to the community of a small liberal arts college.
Recent Courses Taught
Quantum Physics Lab
Waves and Fields Lab
Quantum Mechanics Lab
Survey of Physics Lab
Condensed matter experiment, including: Colloidal qubits in solution, micro-swimmers, microfluidics, sensing, and table-top optical techniques.
- Validating an algebraic approach to characterizing resonator networks. VR Horowitz, B Carter, U Hernandez, T Scheuing, BJ Alemán. arXiv preprint arXiv:2306.01556
- Spatial mapping and analysis of graphene nanomechanical resonator networks. B Carter, VR Horowitz, U Hernandez, DJ Miller, A Blaikie, BJ Alemán. arXiv preprint arXiv:2302.03680
- Deterministic Quantum Emitter Formation in Hexagonal Boron Nitride via Controlled Edge Creation. Josh Ziegler, Rachael Klaiss, Andrew Blaikie, David Miller, Viva R. Horowitz, Benjamín J. Alemán. Nano Letters. 19, 2121–2127 (2019).
- Active colloidal particles in emulsion droplets: A model system for the cytoplasm. Viva R. Horowitz, Zachary C. Chambers, Irep Gözen, Thomas G. Dimiduk, Vinothan N. Manoharan. European Physical Journal Special Topics, 227, 2413–2424 (2019).
- Electron spin resonance of nitrogen-vacancy centers in optically trapped nano diamonds. Viva R. Horowitz, Benjamín J. Alemán, David J. Christle, Andrew N. Cleland, and David D. Awschalom. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 109. 13493 (2012).
- Generating spin currents in semiconductors with the spin Hall effect. V. Sih, W. H. Lau, R. C. Myers, V. R. Horowitz, A. C. Gossard, and D. D. Awschalom, Phys. Rev. Lett. 97. 096605 (2006).
- Mechanical control of spin-orbit splitting in GaAs in In0.04Ga0.96As epilayers. V. Sih, H. Knotz, J. Stephans, V. R. Horowitz, A. C. Gossard, and D. D. Awschalom, Phys. Rev. B 73, 241316 (2006).
- Aggregation behavior and chromonic liquid crystal properties of an anionic monoazo dye. Viva R. Horowitz, Lauren A. Janowitz, Aaron L. Modic, Paul A. Heiney, and Peter J. Collings, Phys. Rev. E 72, 041710 (2005).
- Optofluidics: field or technique? Viva R. Horowitz, David D. Awschalom, and Sumita Pennathur, Lab on a Chip, 8, 1856 (2008).
Appointed to the Faculty2016
Ph.D., University of California Santa Barbara
M.S., University of California Santa Barbara
B.A., Swarthmore College