Associate Professor of EconomicsOn leave spring 2019
Jeffrey Pliskin has written papers on prior information and biased estimation methods. He teaches courses on econometrics, international trade, microeconomic theory and introductory macroeconomics. Pliskin has been a resident scholar at the Jerome Levy Economics Institute of Bard College. He earned his master's degree and doctorate in economics from the University of Michigan and joined the Hamilton College faculty in 1982.
Recent Courses Taught
International Trade Theory and Policy
Economic Analysis of Human Resource Management Practices
Introduction to Macroeconomics
Macroeconomic Forecasting and Computer Simulation
The World Economy
Policy, Poverty, and Practice
- Resident scholar, Jerome Levy Economics Institute of Bard College, 1988-89
- Margaret Bundy Scott Fellowship, Hamilton College, 1988-89
- “Information Technology and High Performance Workplace Practices: Evidence on Their Incidence from Upstate New York Establishments” (with Derek Jones), in volume 14 of Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and Labor-Managed Firms, edited by Doug Kruse, Emerald Group Publishing, Limited., 2013
- Editor (with Takao Kato) of Volume 7 of Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and Labor-Managed Firms, “The Determinants of the Incidence and Effects of Participatory Organizations,” Elsevier Science, 2003.
- “Determinants of the Incidence of Group Incentives: Evidence from Canada” (with Derek Jones), Canadian Journal of Economics, November 1997, 1027-1045.
- “Profit Sharing and Gainsharing: A Review of Theory, Incidence, and Effects” (with Derek Jones and Takao Kato) in Handbook of Human Resources, edited by D. Lewin, D. Mitchell, and M. Zaidi, JAI Press, 1997.
- “The Covariance Transformation and the Instrumental Variables Estimator of the Fixed Effects Model,” Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 53, 1991, 95 99.
- Alumni Council, 2008-11
- Director, Arthur Levitt Public Affairs Center, 2007-09
- Healthcare Task Force, 2005-present
- Committee for Action on Resource Efficiency (CARE), 2004-05
- Planning Committee, 2003-06
- Faculty advisor to the men’s lacrosse team, 2002-06
- President, International Association for the Economics of Participation, 2008-10
- Vice president, International Association for the Economics of Participation, 2006-08
- Council member, International Association for the Economics of Participation, 20
Appointed to the Faculty: 1982
Ph.D., University of Michigan
M.A., University of Michigan
B.A., SUNY Binghamton