John and Anne Fischer Professor of Fine ArtsMolly Root House 216
John McEnroe teaches courses in classical art, Renaissance art, medieval art and critical theory. His most recent book is Architecture of Minoan Crete (University of Texas Press, 2010). McEnroe combines academic research in Athens with archaeological fieldwork in Crete. Before coming to Hamilton, McEnroe worked as a field archaeologist in Greece and taught art history at Indiana University and the University of Virginia.
Recent Courses Taught
Proseminar in Art History
Art of Ancient Greece and Rome
Renaissance Art History
Theory and Methods in Art History
Art and Visual Culture
Visual Culture in the Middle Ages
Art Historians and Art History
National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship
American Council of Learned Societies Grant
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Fellowship
Canada Council Fellowship
- Architecture of Minoan Crete: Constructing Identity in the Aegean Bronze Age, Austin: University of Texas Press, 2010.
- Co-editor with Deborah Pokinski, Critical Perspectives on Art History, Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 2002.
- Pseira V. The Architecture of Pseira, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Museum, 2001.
- Co-editor with Michel-Andre Bossy and Thomas Brothers, Artists, Writers, and Musicians, Lives and Legacies Series, Westport, Conn. Oryx Press, 2001.
Articles, Reviews and Reports
- In press, contributor to “Excavations at Gournia: 2010-2012,” Hesperia: The Journal of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens.
- “The Final Palace at Knossos: Contexts and Texts.” Meditations on the Diversity of the Built Environment in the Aegean and Beyond, Canadian Institute in Greece, pp. 121-143, 2014.
- Review of Daniel J. Pullen (ed.), Political Economies of the Aegean Bronze Age. Oxford; Oakville, CT: Oxbow Books, 2010. Bryn Mawr Classical Review http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu, 2011.
- “Architecture in Block AF South,” and “Architecture in Block AF North,” Pseira X. The Excavation of Block AF (Philip P. Betancourt and Costis Davaras, eds). Philadelphia: INSTAP Academic Press, pp. 29-37, 2009.
- “Minoan Archaeology and the Quest for the Primitive Hut,” KRINOI KAI LIMENES. Studies in Honor of Joseph and Maria Shaw, Philadelphia: Institute of Aegean Prehistory Academic Press, pp. 1-8. http://hamilton.academia.edu/JohnMcEnroe/Papers. 2007.
- “Cretan Questions: Politics and Archaeology 1989-1913,” Labyrinth Revisited: Rethinking Minoan Archaeology, (Yannis Hamilakis, ed.) pp. 58-72, 2001.
- Co-curated with Edward Wheatley, "Nuremberg 1493," Emerson Gallery, Hamilton College. February 28 – April 11, 2004
- "Ancient Vases from the Hamilton College Collection and the J. Paul Getty Museum," Emerson Gallery, Hamilton College. March 14 - May 1, 1987
Chair, Art Department
Chair, Art History Department
Steering Committee for Visual Arts Facilities Development
Committee on Academic Standing
Committee on Academic Policy
Hamilton College Planning Committee
Steering Committee for Hamilton College Strategic Plan
American School of Classical Studies at Athens (Senior Associate)
Institute of Aegean Prehistory East Crete Study Center (Member)
Appointed to the Faculty: 1983
Ph.D., University of Toronto
M.A., University of Michigan
B.A., Michigan State University