Associate Professor of Chemistry, Director of Biochemistry/Molecular BiologyTaylor Science Center 1073
Max Majireck completed his postdoctoral research in chemical biology at Harvard University and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, designing small molecules to study disease biology, particularly cancer. He was selected for a fellowship from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. At Hamilton, he combined his passion for teaching, mentoring and research by designing a new course to highlight the role of organic synthesis in human health. He's also designing a research program that investigates new chemical transformations to produce tool compounds for studying neurological disorders. Majireck earned his doctorate in organic chemistry from Penn State.
Recent Courses Taught
Organic Chemistry I
Organic Chemistry II
Organic Synthesis Toward Improved Human Health
- New York Six (NY6) New Academic Working Group Seed Grant, 2017
- Class of 1963 Excellence in Teaching Award, Hamilton College, 2015
- Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research, 2015
- Social Innovation and Transformational Leadership Grant; Sponsored by the Levitt Center & DOF at Hamilton College, 2015
- Class of 1966 Career Development Award, Hamilton College, 2014
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Postdoctoral Fellowship (Declined to accept tenure track position at Hamilton College), 2013
- American Chemical Society CIBA/YCC Young Scientist Travel Award, 2013
- Broad Institute Spot Award, 2012
- American Chemical Society travel award for postdoc to faculty workshop, 2012
- Braucher Research Award; Pennsylvania State University, 2010
- Dan Waugh Memorial Teaching Award, Pennsylvania State University, 2007
- First Year Graduate Student Fellowship, Pennsylvania State University, 2005
- Swezey-Janicki Award, Grove City College, 2005
- Marie C. Lush Scholarship, Grove City College, 2004
- Sigma Xi, Grove City College, 2004
- Kemikos Honor Society, Grove City College, 2003
- CONSOL Energy College Scholarship; selected by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, 2001-05
- Shapiro, J. D.; Sonberg, J. C.; Schafer, B. C.; Williams, C. C.; Ferris, H. R.; Reinheimer, E. W.; Van Wynsberghe, A. W.; Kriley, C. E.; Majireck, M. M. “Synthesis, characterization, and computational modeling of N-(1-ethoxyvinyl)pyridinium triflates, an unusual class of pyridinium salt.” Molecules, 2018, 23, 412.
- Bennett, J. B.; Shapiro, J. D.; Choinski, K. N.; Mei, Y.; Aulita, S. M.; Dominguez, G. M.; Majireck, M. M. "Preparation of N-(2-alkoxyvinyl)sulfonamides from N-tosyl-1,2,3-triazoles and subsequent conversion to substituted phthalans and phenethylamines" J. Vis. Exp. 2018, 131, e56848.
- Bennett, J.; Shapiro, J.; Choinski, K.; Mei, Y.; Aulita S.; Reinheimer, E.; Majireck, M. M. "Synthesis of phthalan and phenethylamine derivatives via addition of alcohols to rhodium(II)-azavinyl carbenoids" Tetrahedron Lett. 2017, 58, 13.
- Chattopadhyay, S.; Stewart, A. L.; Mukherjee, S.; Huang, C.; Hartwell, K. A.; Miller, P. G.; Subramanian, R.; Carmody, L.; Yusuf, R. Z.; Sykes, D. B.; Paulk, J.; Vetere, A.; Vallet, S.; Santo, L.; Cirstea, D.; Hideshima, T.; Dancik, V.; Majireck, M. M.; Hussain, M. M.; Singh, S.; Quiroz, R.; Iaconelli, J.; Karmacharya, R.; Tolliday, N. J.; Clemons, P. A.; Kapoor, T. M.; Moore, M. A. S.; Stern, A. M.; Shamji, A. F.; Ebert, B. L.; Golub, T. R.; Raje, N. S.; Scadden, D. T.; Schreiber, S. L. “Niche-Based Screening in Multiple Myeloma Identifies a Novel Kinesin-5 Inhibitor with Improved Selectivity over Hematopoietic Progenitors.” Cell Reports, 2015, 10, 755.
- Feng, Y.; Majireck, M. M.; Weinreb, S. M. “Total Syntheses of the Monoterpene Indole Alkaloids (±)- Alstilobanine A and E and (±)-Angustilodine” J. Org. Chem. 2014, 79, 7.
- Feng, Y.; Majireck, M. M.; Weinreb, S. M. “Total Synthesis of the Unusual Monoterpenoid Indole Alkaloid (±)-Alstilobanine A” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 12846; Angew. Chem. 2012, 124, 13018.
- Chauhan, P. S.; Majireck, M. M.; Weinreb, S. M. “Regioselective alpha-monochlorination of N-protected-3-piperidones” Heterocycles 2011, 84, 577.
- Li, P.; Majireck, M. M.; Witek, J. A.; Weinreb, S. M. “Efficient methodology for alkylation of vinylnitroso compounds with carbon nucleophiles” Tetrahedron Lett. 2010, 51, 2032.
- Li, P.; Majireck, M. M.; Korboukh, I.; Weinreb, S. M. “A mild, efficient method for the oxidation of a-diazo-B-hydroxyesters to a-diazo-B-ketoesters” Tetrahedron Lett. 2008, 49, 3162.
- Majireck, M. M.; Weinreb, S. M. “A study of the scope and regioselectivity of the ruthenium-catalyzed [3 + 2]-cycloaddition of azides with internal alkynes” J. Org. Chem. 2006, 71, 8680.
- Kriley, C. E.; Majireck, M. M.; Tobolewski, J. M.; Kelvington, L. E.; Cummings, S. H.; Hershberger, S.J.; Link, J. D.; Silverio, A. L.; Fanwick, P. E.; Rothwell, I. P. “Synthesis and characterization of two novel cobalt (II) phosphine complexes: crystal structures of [CoCl3(Cy2PCH2PCy2H)] and [Co(NO3)2(Cy2PCH2PCy2O)]. Cy = cyclohexyl, C6H11” Inorg. Chim. Acta 2005, 358, 57.
- Majireck, M. M.; Witek, J. A.; Weinreb, S. M. “An expedient reductive method for conversion of ketoximes to the corresponding carbonyl compounds” Tetrahedron Lett. 2010, 51, 3555.
American Chemical Society
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
Appointed to the Faculty: 2013
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Harvard University/Broad Institute
Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University
B.S., Grove City College