Chair, Associate Professor of BiologyTaylor Science Center 2032
Mike McCormick's current research focuses on the microbial ecology of geochemical gradients in Antarctic sediments and meromictic lakes, electron transfer processes between bacteria and solid surfaces, and the transformation of environmental contaminants by biogenic minerals. He has published in the journals Environmental Science and Technology, Environmental Chemistry, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Journal of Physical Chemistry B and Water Resources Research. McCormick is a member of the Biology Department with a shared teaching commitment in the Geosciences Department. He came to Hamilton after he completed a doctorate and post-doctoral fellowship in environmental engineering at the University of Michigan.
Recent Courses Taught
Fundamentals and Frontiers
Rhetoric, Science and Environment
Current research projects include: 1) isolation and identification of novel endogenous electron shuttles produced by iron respiring bacteria, 2) characterization of pore water chemistry and microbial assemblages in Antarctic sediments previously covered by the Larsen A Ice Shelf, and 3) analysis of geochemistry and microbial community composition at high spatial resolution in meromictic Green Lake, Fayetteville, NY.
- U.S. Antarctic Service Medal, 2010
- Department of Energy Grant – Argonne Subsurface Science Program SFA Five-Year Plan, 2010
- National Science Foundation Office of Polar Programs Grant – Collaborative Research in IPY: Abrupt Environmental Change in the Larsen Ice Shelf System, a Multidisciplinary Approach – Marine Ecosystems, 2007
- Class of 1963 Excellence in Teaching Award, 2007
- CH2M-Hill Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, Association of Environmental Engineering & Science Professors, 2003
- Distinguished Achievement Award in Environmental Engineering, 2001 (U. of Michigan)
- Walter J. Weber, Jr. Student Award for Excellence in Environmental Sciences and Engineering Research, 2001 (U. of Michigan)
- ACS Graduate Student Award in Environmental Chemistry, 2001
- McCormick, M. L., Banishki, N., Powell, S., Rumack, A., and J. M. Garrett, 2014, "A low cost multi-level sampling device for synchronous aseptic collection of environmental water samples." Journal of Microbiological Methods, 105, 51-53.
- Pasakarnis, T., McCormick, M. L., Parkin, G. F., Thompson, A., and M. M. Scherer, 2014, "Fe(II)aq – Fe(III) oxide electron transfer and mixing: Effect of organic carbon." Environmental Chemistry.
- McCormick, M. L., and P. Adriaens, 2004, "Carbon Tetrachloride Transformation on the Surface of Nanoscale Biogenic Magnetite Particles," Environmental Science and Technology, 38:1045-1053.
- McCormick, M.L, E.J. Bouwer, and P. Adriaens, 2002, "Carbon Tetrachloride Transformation in a Defined Iron-Reducing Culture: Relative Kinetics of Biotic and Abiotic Reactions," Environmental Science and Technology 36:403-410.
- McCormick, M. L., 2012, "Geomicrobiology of a meromictic lake, Green Lake, Fayetteville, New York," in Rayne, T.W., ed., Field Trip Guidebook for the 84th Annual Meeting of the New York State Geological Association. pp. B4-1-16.
American Society for Microbiology
American Chemical Society
Appointed to the Faculty: 2003
Ph.D., University of Michigan
M.S., University of Michigan
B.S., Ohio State University