Stephen Harper Kirner Professor of Biology
A National Science Foundation grantee, Pat Reynolds is an expert on marine invertebrate biology, particularly the evolution of Mollusca. He has worked with student research assistants on cruises and at field stations along both coasts of North America and in Antarctica. He has published in Advances in Marine Biology, Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, and in Molecular systematics and phylogeography of mollusks (Smithsonian Institution Press). Reynolds served as editor of the journal Invertebrate Biology, an international journal of the American Microscopical Society (1997–2009), and as president of the American Microscopical Society (2013–2014). He received his doctorate from the University of Victoria, Canada.
Recent Courses Taught
Cultural and Natural Histories of the Adirondack Park
Seminar on Biological Form
Invertebrate biology; functional morphology, phylogenetic systematics, and evolution of form of marine molluscs, especially Scaphopoda; marine benthic community ecology
- Williams E, Reynolds PD, & Oerlemans O., 2010, Interdisciplinary teaching on the Adirondacks. Proceedings of the Symposium on Nature and Culture in the Northern Forest. Cenkl P, ed.. Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment.
- Reynolds PD & Steiner G 2008. Scaphopoda. Phylogeny and Evolution of the Mollusca. Ponder W & Lindberg DL eds., Chap. 7, pp. 143–159. University of California Press.
- Reynolds PD 2006. Scaphopoda: The Tusk Shells. The Mollusks: A Guide to Their Study, Collection, and Preservation. Sturm CF, Pearce T, & Valdés A, eds., pp. 229–237. Universal Publishers, Inc., Boca Raton, Fla.
- Steiner G & Reynolds PD 2003. Molecular systematics of the Scaphopoda. Molecular systematics and phylogeography of mollusks. Lydeard C & Lindberg DR, eds., pp 123–139. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D.C.
- Reynolds PD 2002. The Scaphopoda. Advances in Marine Biology 42: 137–236.
- Reynolds PD & *Okusu A 1999. Phylogenetic relationships among families in the Class Scaphopoda (Phylum Mollusca). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 126: 131–154.
- Reynolds PD 1997. The phylogeny and classification of Scaphopoda (Mollusca): an assessment of current resolution and cladistic reanalysis. Zoologica Scripta 26 (1): 13–21.
- Morse MP & Reynolds PD 1996. Ultrastructure of the heart-kidney complex in smaller classes supports symplesiomorphy of molluscan coelomic characters. Origin and evolutionary radiation of the Mollusca. Taylor JD, ed., pp. 89–97. The Malacological Society of London. Oxford University Press, London.
- Eernisse DJ & Reynolds PD 1994. Polyplacophora. Microscopical Anatomy of the Invertebrates, Vol. 5: Mollusca, Part 1. Harrison FW & Kohn AJ, eds., pp. 55–110. Wiley-Liss, New York.
- Reynolds PD, Morse MP, & Norenburg J 1993. Ultrastructure of the heart and pericardium of an aplacophoran mollusc (Neomeniomorpha): evidence for ultrafiltration of blood. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B. 254 (1340): 147–152.
- Reynolds PD 1992a. Distribution and ultrastructure of ciliated sensory receptors in the posterior mantle epithelium of Dentalium rectius (Mollusca, Scaphopoda). Acta Zoologica 73 (4): 263–270.
- Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty, 2011–16
- Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty, 2010–11
- Acting Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty, 2009
- Associate Dean of Faculty, 2007–10
- Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty Search Committee, 2005–06 (appointed Chair)
- Academic Council, 2003–04
- Committee on Appointments, 2006–07
- Chair, Biology Department, 2006–07
- ITS Advisory Group, 2005–
- Library Task Force, 2004–05
- Staff Position Description Evaluation Committee, 2000–02
- Hamilton–Colgate Collaboration Committee, 2000
- Junior Faculty Mentor Group, 1999–present
- Committee on Academic Policy (including curricular restructuring), 1996–99 (appointed chair, 1998–99)
- Secretary of the Faculty, 1994–95
- Academic Council (ex officio), 1994–95
- Honor Court, 1993–94
Appointed to the Faculty1992
Ph.D. University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
B.Sc. (Hons., 1st Cl.), National University of Ireland, Galway