John and Anne Fischer Professor of Fine ArtsKennedy Center 110
Rebecca Murtaugh is a sculptor working in a variety of materials that explore the relationship between nature and the human made world. She has exhibited her work in fifteen solo and over seventy group exhibitions in cities such as New York, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Nashville, Dallas, Seattle, and San Francisco. Murtaugh’s work has been included in The New York Times, The New Yorker, The New Criterion, BUST, Huffington Post, Artweek, American Craft, and Bushwick Daily. She was the recipient of the John R. Hatch Excellence in Teaching Award in 2009 and received the Dean’s Scholarly Achievement Award for Notable Year in 2016. Her work can be viewed at www.rebeccamurtaugh.com.
Recent Courses Taught
Introduction to Ceramics
Introduction to Sculpture
Art and the Environment
Advanced Three Dimensional and Material Studies
Junior Seminar in Art
- Delia O’Hara. “Powerbroker.” American Craft. Volume 29, No. 1, February/March 2019. 68
- James Panero. “Gallery Chronicle.” The New Criterion. Volume 35, No 8, April 2017. 68.
- Samantha Mercado. “13 Artworks by Nasty Women to Inspire You to Fight Back.” BUST. January 10, 2017.
- Rachel Otwell. “From the DEMO: An Experience with Hard Candy.” NPRIllinios.org. June 16, 2016.
- Staff. Goings on About Town: Art, ‘Francis Cape,” The New Yorker. November 12, 2010.
- Penelope Green. “While You Were Out the Post-it Note Came Home,” The New York Times. June 28, 2007. F1.
Select Solo and Two Person Exhibitions
- 2020, Clifford Gallery, Hamilton, NY, “Telluric Meditari”
- 2020, Sediment Gallery, Richmond, VA, “Relic Drift” (two person)
- 2017, Stout Projects, Brooklyn, NY, “Rough Matter”
- 2017, Goodyear Gallery, Carlisle, PA, “Substance”
- 2016, Thomas Hunter Project Space, NY, NY, “Cascade”
- 2016, DEMO Projects, Springfield, IL, “Hard Candy” (two person)
- 2014, Creative Arts Workshop, New Haven, CT, "Alluring Repulsions"
- 2012, Delaware Center for Contemporary Art, Wilmington, DE, "Intimate Constructions"
- 2011, Estel Gallery, Nashville, TN, “Fluidity” (two person)
- 2010, Urban Institute for Contemporary Art, Grand Rapids, MI, "Temptations"
- 2008, 1708 Gallery, Richmond, VA, “Seductions” (two person)
- 2003, Pentimenti Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, "22 Day Window"
Select Group Exhibitions
- 2020, Collar Works, Troy, NY, “Space Lab”
- 2019, Underdonk, Brooklyn, NY, “Fur Cup”
- 2019, Katherine E. Nash Gallery, Minneapolis, MN, “The Form Will Find Its Way”
- 2018, American Museum of Ceramic Art, Pomona, CA, “Fahrenheit 2018”
- 2017, Lichtundfire Gallery, NY, NY, “Bound By Matter”
- 2017, Tiger Strikes Asteroid, Brooklyn, NY, “The Flat Files: Year Four”
- 2016, Trestle, Brooklyn, NY, “Plus One”
- 2015, Stout Projects, Brooklyn, NY, “Occo Socko!”
- 2015, Storefront Ten Ecyk, Brooklyn, NY, “Making History”
- 2014, Paul W. Zuccaire Gallery, Stony Brook, NY, “Form and Facture”
- Committee on Appointments, 2020-21
- Co-Pi Sherman Fairchild Foundation Grant, Creative Arts and Technology, 2019-Present
- Committee for Admissions and Financial Aid, 2016-2020
- New Faculty Orientation: Primary Leader, 2011-13, Co-Leader, 2009-11
- Art Department Chair, 2010-15
- Studio Art Facilities Planning Committee, 2010-14
- Faculty Secretary, Academic Council, 2009-10
- Library Committee, 2007-10
National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts
Appointed to the Faculty: 2004
M.F.A., Virginia Commonwealth University
B.S., Pennsylvania State University