Professor of Arton leave fall 2019
Kennedy Center 110
Rebecca Murtaugh is a sculptor working in a variety of materials that include clay, wood, and paint. She has exhibited her work in sixteen solo and over seventy group exhibitions in cities such as New York, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Nashville, Dallas, Seattle, and San Francisco. Murtaugh's work has been written about in The New York Times, The New Yorker, The New Criterion, BUST, Huffington Post, Artweek, Stone Canoe, and Bushwick Daily. She was the recipient of the John R. Hatch Excellence in Teaching Award in 2009 and received the Dean’s Scholarly Achievement Award for Notable Year in 2016. Her work can be viewed at www.rebeccamurtaugh.com.
Recent Courses Taught
Introduction to Ceramics
Introduction to Sculpture
Advanced Three Dimensional and Material Studies
- James Panero. “Gallery Chronicle.” The New Criterion. Volume 35, No 8, April 2017. 68.
- Samantha Mercado. “13 Artworks by Nasty Women to Inspire You to Fight Back.” BUST. January 10, 2017.
- Rachel Otwell. “From the DEMO: An Experience with Hard Candy.” NPRIllinios.org. June 16, 2016.
- Staff, exhibition announcement: “Form and Facture,” The New York Times, October 26, 2014. LI 10.
- Panero, James. “The Gallery Chronicle,” The New Criterion, Volume 32, November 2013. 52.
- Staff. Goings on About Town: Art, ‘Francis Cape,” The New Yorker. November 12, 2010.
- Penelope Green. “While You Were Out the Post-it Note Came Home,” The New York Times. June 28, 2007. F1.
Select Solo Exhibitions
- 2017, Stout Projects, Brooklyn, NY, “Rough Matter”
- 2017, Goodyear Gallery, Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA, “Substance”
- 2016, Thomas Hunter Projects Space, Hunter College, NY, NY, “Cascade”
- 2014, Creative Arts Workshop, New Haven, CT, "Alluring Repulsions"
- 2012, Delaware Center for Contemporary Art, Wilmington, DE, "Intimate Constructions"
- 2010, Urban Institute for Contemporary Art, Grand Rapids, MI, "Temptations"
- 2004, Kittredge Gallery, Tacoma, WA, “Color Coded”
- 2003, Pentimenti Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, "22 Day Window"
Select Group Exhibitions
- 2018, American Museum of Ceramic Art, Pomona, CA, “Fahrenheit 2018” (upcoming)
- 2017, Lichtundfire Gallery, NY, NY, “Bound By Matter”
- 2017, Tiger Strikes Asteroid, Brooklyn, NY, “The Flat Files: Year Four”
- 2016, DEMO Projects, Springfield, IL, “Hard Candy” (two person)
- 2016, Trestle, Brooklyn, NY, “Plus One”
- 2015, Stout Projects, Brooklyn, NY, “Occo Socko!”
- 2015, Storefront Ten Ecyk, Brooklyn, NY, "Making History"
- 2014, Paul W. Zuccaire Gallery, Stony Brook, NY, "Form and Facture”
- 2013, Creative Arts Workshop, New Haven, CT, “How Simple Can You Get?”
- Committee for Admissions and Financial Aid, 2016-present
- New Faculty Orientation: Primary Leader, 2011-13
- Art Department Chair, 2010-15
- Studio Art Facilities Planning Committee, 2010-14
- New Faculty Orientation: Co-Leader, 2009-11
- Faculty Secretary, Academic Council, 2009-10
- Library Committee, 2007-10
Appointed to the Faculty: 2004
M.F.A., Virginia Commonwealth University
B.S., Pennsylvania State University