Associate Professor of ArtKennedy Center 110
Rebecca Murtaugh has exhibited her work in solo and group exhibitions in New York City, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., New Haven, Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Nashville, Dallas, Seattle and San Francisco. Murtaugh's work has been written about in The New York Times, The New Yorker, The New Criterion, the Seattle Post Intelligencer, Artweek, Stone Canoe and Shamenet Magazine. She was the recipient of the John R. Hatch Excellence in Teaching Award in 2009. Her work can be viewed at www.rebeccamurtaugh.com.
Recent Courses Taught
Introduction to Ceramics
Introduction to Sculpture
Advanced Three Dimensional and Material Studies
- Staff, Exhibition Announcement:"Form and Facture", New York Times, October 26, 2014, LI 10.
- Panero, James. "The Gallery Chronicle", The New Criterion, Volume 32, November 2013, 52.
- MacInnis, Stephen. "Have You Met Rebecca Murtaugh?", Painter's Progress Blog, June 19, 2013.
- Staff. Goings on About Ton: Art, "Francis Cape", The New Yorker, November 15, 2010.
- Green, Penelope. "While You Were Out, The Post-it Went Home", New York Times, June 28, 2007. F1.
- Koppman, Debra. Exhibition Preview, Artweek, CA, May 2004.
- Hill, Lori. "First Friday Focus", Exhibition Preview, Philadelphia City Paper, July 31, 2003.
Select Solo and Two Person Exhibitions
- 2014, Creative Arts Workshop, Hilles Gallery, New Haven, CT, "Alluring Repulsions"
- 2012, Delaware Center for Contemporary Art, Wilmington, DE, "Intimate Constructions"
- 2010, Urban Institute for Contemporary Art, Grand Rapids, MI, "Temptations"
- 2008, 1708 Gallery, Richmond, VA, "Seductions", two person
- 2003, Pentimenti Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, "22 Day Window"
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2015, StoreFront Ten, Ecyk, Brooklyn, NY "Making History", Project Space c2c/wc, San Francisco, CA, "Color As Form", 500x Gallery, Dallas, TX, "Family Ties", Hillyer Art Space, Washinton D.C., "Perspective".
- 2014, Paul W. Zuccaire Gallery, Stony Brook, NY, "Form and Facture: New Painting and Sculpture from New York", curated by Karen Levitov; Formerly Pocket Utopia, New York, NY, "Family Style", curated by Julie Torres; 195 Morgan: Bushwick Open Studios, Brooklyn, NY, "Do it Yourself", Storefront Ten Eyck, Brooklyn, NY, "Bushwick Open Studio Benefit".
- 2013, 16 Wilson (hosted by Deborah Brown, formerly Storefront Bushwick), Brooklyn, NY "Meta Vista"; Curating Contemporary, "Meta Vista"; Creative Arts Workshop, Hilles Gallery, New Haven, CT; "How Simple Can You Get?", juried by Robert Storr; Liz Afif Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, "Sea and Sky".
- 2012, Morris Museum, Morristown, NJ, "Toying with Art"; Resiman Gallery, Cazenovia, NY, "Matter"; Charles Bank Gallery, NY, "NURTUREart Curated Benefit".
- New Faculty Orientation: Primary Leader, 2011-13
- Studio Art Facilities Planning Committee, 2010-14
- Art Department Chair, 2010-15
- New Faculty Orientation Leader, 2009-11
- Faculty Secretary, Academic Council 2009-10
- Library Committee (Chair: spring 2008, fall 2009, spring 2010), 2007-10
College Art Association
International Sculpture Center
Appointed to the Faculty: 2004
M.F.A., Virginia Commonwealth University
B.S., Pennsylvania State University