Marjorie and Robert W. McEwen Professor of MathematicsChristian A. Johnson Hall 120
Robert Kantrowitz ’82 conducts research in mathematical analysis. Much of his recent work focuses on convex functions, with applications to analytic and geometric properties of various models of projectile motion. His recent article "Parabolic sandwiches for functions on a compact interval and an application to projectile motion" appears in International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, and "Halley's minimal kinetic energy problem for projectile motion with drag quadratic in speed" was published in Rendiconti del Circolo Matematico di Palermo.
Kantrowitz is also interested in structural aspects of normed algebras and ordered fields: the article "Normed algebras and the geometric series test" was recently published in Surveys in Mathematics and its Applications, and "Completeness of ordered fields and a trio of classical series tests" appears in Abstract and Applied Analysis.
Kantrowitz earned a doctorate in mathematics from Syracuse University and joined the faculty of his alma mater in 1990.
Recent Courses Taught
- Class & Charter Day keynote speaker, May 2020
- The Samuel and Helen Lang Prize for Excellence in Teaching, 2019
- Dean's Scholarly Achievement Award, 2009
- "Parabolic sandwiches for functions on a compact interval and an application to projectile motion," (with Michael M. Neumann), International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2019, 2019.
- "Optimization of Projectile Motion Under Air Resistance Quadratic in Speed," (with Michael M. Neumann) Mediterr. J. Math., DOI 10.1007/s00009-016-0815-4 (2017).
- "More of Dedekind: His Series Test in Normed Spaces," (with Michael M. Neumann) International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2016, Article ID 2508172, 3 pages, 2016.
- "Some Real Analysis Behind Optimization of Projectile Motion," (with Michael M. Neumann) Mediterr. J. Math., DOI 10.1007/s00009-013-0379-5 (2013).
- "Series That Converge Absolutely But Don’t Converge," (with Michael Schramm) The College Mathematics Journal, Vol. 43, No. 4, 331-333 (2012).
- "Parabolic sandwiches for functions on a compact interval and an application to projectile motion," (with Michael M. Neumann), International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2019, 2019."Submultiplicativity of Norms for Spaces of Generalized BV -Functions," Real Analysis Exchange, Vol. 36, No. 1, 169-176 (2010).
- "Optimal Angles for Launching Projectiles: Lagrange vs. CAS," (with Michael M. Neumann) Canadian Applied Mathematics Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 3, 279-299 (2008).
- "Yet Another Proof of Minkowski’s Inequality," (with Michael M. Neumann) American Mathematical Monthly, Vol. 115, No. 5, 445-447 (2008).
- "Is the Optimal Rectangle a Square?," (with Michael M. Neumann) Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, Vol. 12, No. 7, 405-415 (2007).
- "The Quantitative Literacy Program at Hamilton College," (with Mary B. ONeill) in: Current Practices in Quantitative Literacy Programs, MAA Notes #70, 81-86 (2006).
- "Optimization for Products of Concave Functions," (with Michael M. Neumann) Rendiconti del Circolo Matematico di Palermo, Serie II, Vol. 54, 291-302 (2005).
- "Disjointness Preserving and Local Operators on Algebras of Differentiable Functions," (with Michael M. Neumann) Glasgow Mathematical Journal, 43, 295-309 (2001).
- "A Principle of Countability," Mathematics Magazine, Vol. 73, No. 1, 40-42 (2000).
- "Let’s Do Launch: More Musings on Projectile Motion," (with Michael M. Neumann) Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, Vol. 13, No. 4, 219-228 (2011).
- "Regularity, Scrambling, and the Steady State for Stochastic Matrices," (with Michael M. Neumann and Thomas J. Ransford) Contemporary Mathematics, Vol. 547, 153-164 (2011).
- Committee on Appointments, 2002-05, 2018-2021; chair, 2004-05, 2018-19
- Mathematics Department chair, July 2010-2015
- Opportunities Program Advisory Committee and summer faculty, 1996-present
- Faculty Committee on Budget and Finance, 2013-present
- Health Professions Advisory Committee, 2007-12
- External review team, Department of Mathematics, Morrisville State College, October 2009
- Faculty chair and Academic Council ex officio, 2008-09
- Chair, strategic planning sub-committee on Residential Life and Co-curricular Programming, 2007-08
- Quantitative Literacy Committee, 1994-2003; chair, 1996-2003
- Colloquium chair – Mathematics Department, 1991-2003
- Chair, ad hoc committee on Jewish leadership at Hamilton, 2001-02
- Committee on Admission and Financial Aid, 1997-2001; chair, 2000-01
- Chair, Committee on Athletics, 2001
- Chair, Gender Equity Committee, 1999-2001
- Putnam Mathematical Competition local organizer/administrator – Mathematics Department, 1990-1992, 1994-1997, 1999-2001
- Chair, Middle States self-study sub-committee on communications and development, 1999-2000
- Alumni Council, 1996-1999
- Academic Policy Committee curricular review subcommittee – communicative competencies, 1996-97
- Judicial Board, 1994-97
Appointed to the Faculty: 1990
Ph.D., Syracuse University
M.Phil., Syracuse University
M.A., Syracuse University
B.A., Hamilton College