Professor of MathematicsChristian A. Johnson Hall 120
Robert Kantrowitz ’82 conducts research in analysis, with particular focus on Banach algebras, automatic continuity, and operator theory. His teaching interests include analysis, linear algebra, and calculus. Kantrowitz's latest article, "Series That Converge Absolutely But Don't Converge," appeared in The College Mathematics Journal.
Other recent work has focused on modeling projectile motion and on stochastic matrices. The article "Optimization of Projectile Motion in Three Dimensions" appeared in Canadian Applied Mathematics Quarterly. "A Fixed Point Approach to the Steady State for Stochastic Matrices" is slated to appear in the Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics. He earned a doctorate from Syracuse University.
Recent Courses Taught
- "Optimization of Projectile Motion Under Air Resistance Quadratic in Speed," (with Michael M. Neumann) Mediterr. J. Math., DOI 10.1007/s00009-016-0815-4 (2017).
- "More of Dedekind: His Series Test in Normed Spaces," (with Michael M. Neumann) International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2016, Article ID 2508172, 3 pages, 2016.
- "Some Real Analysis Behind Optimization of Projectile Motion," (with Michael M. Neumann) Mediterr. J. Math., DOI 10.1007/s00009-013-0379-5 (2013).
- "Series That Converge Absolutely But Don’t Converge," (with Michael Schramm) The College Mathematics Journal, Vol. 43, No. 4, 331-333 (2012).
- "Optimization of Projectile Motion in Three Dimensions," (with Michael M. Neumann) Canadian Applied Mathematics Quarterly, Vol. 19, No. 1, 43-64 (2011).
- "Submultiplicativity of Norms for Spaces of Generalized BV -Functions," Real Analysis Exchange, Vol. 36, No. 1, 169-176 (2010).
- "Optimal Angles for Launching Projectiles: Lagrange vs. CAS," (with Michael M. Neumann) Canadian Applied Mathematics Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 3, 279-299 (2008).
- "Yet Another Proof of Minkowski’s Inequality," (with Michael M. Neumann) American Mathematical Monthly, Vol. 115, No. 5, 445-447 (2008).
- "Is the Optimal Rectangle a Square?," (with Michael M. Neumann) Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, Vol. 12, No. 7, 405-415 (2007).
- "The Quantitative Literacy Program at Hamilton College," (with Mary B. ONeill) in: Current Practices in Quantitative Literacy Programs, MAA Notes #70, 81-86 (2006).
- "Optimization for Products of Concave Functions," (with Michael M. Neumann) Rendiconti del Circolo Matematico di Palermo, Serie II, Vol. 54, 291-302 (2005).
- "Disjointness Preserving and Local Operators on Algebras of Differentiable Functions," (with Michael M. Neumann) Glasgow Mathematical Journal, 43, 295-309 (2001).
- "A Principle of Countability," Mathematics Magazine, Vol. 73, No. 1, 40-42 (2000).
- "Let’s Do Launch: More Musings on Projectile Motion," (with Michael M. Neumann) Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, Vol. 13, No. 4, 219-228 (2011).
- "Regularity, Scrambling, and the Steady State for Stochastic Matrices," (with Michael M. Neumann and Thomas J. Ransford) Contemporary Mathematics, Vol. 547, 153-164 (2011).
- Mathematics Department chair, July 2010-present
- Opportunities Program Advisory Committee and summer faculty, 1996-present
- Faculty Committee on Budget and Finance, 2013-present
- Health Professions Advisory Committee, 2007-12
- External review team, Department of Mathematics, Morrisville State College, October 2009
- Faculty chair and Academic Council ex officio, 2008-09
- Chair, strategic planning sub-committee on Residential Life and Co-curricular Programming, 2007-08
- Committee on Appointments, 2002-05; chair, 2004-05
- Quantitative Literacy Committee, 1994-2003; chair, 1996-2003
- Colloquium chair – Mathematics Department, 1991-2003
- Chair, ad hoc committee on Jewish leadership at Hamilton, 2001-02
- Committee on Admission and Financial Aid, 1997-2001; chair, 2000-01
- Chair, Committee on Athletics, 2001
- Chair, Gender Equity Committee, 1999-2001
- Putnam Mathematical Competition local organizer/administrator – Mathematics Department, 1990-1992, 1994-1997, 1999-2001
- Chair, Middle States self-study sub-committee on communications and development, 1999-2000
- Alumni Council, 1996-1999
- Academic Policy Committee curricular review subcommittee – communicative competencies, 1996-97
- Judicial Board, 1994-97
Appointed to the Faculty: 1990
Ph.D., Syracuse University
M.Phil., Syracuse University
M.A., Syracuse University
B.A., Hamilton College