Professor of LiteratureOn leave fall 2018
Root Hall 111
Vincent Odamtten, who earned a doctorate in English from the State University of New York at Stony Brook, specializes in African, Caribbean and African-American literatures. Odamtten published an acclaimed book, The Art of Ama Ata Aidoo, and has contributed articles to a number of anthologies. He edited Broadening the Horizon: Critical Introductions to Amma Darko, published in England, and published an article "Not Just for Children Anymore: Aidoo's The Eagle and the Chickens and Questions of Identity" in Essays in Honour of Ama Ata Aidoo at 70. Odamtten is researching Togbi Sri II, paramount chief of the Anlo-Ewes of Southeastern Ghana, as part of a multimedia narrative project.
Recent Courses Taught
Introduction to Science Fiction
Introduction to African-American Literature
Introduction to Literary Studies
Studies in African Literature
Contemporary African-American Literature
Contemporary African Literature
African American Literature Beyond the Edge
Africana Literatures & Critical Discourses
African American Literature & Multimodal Criticism
- “Interview with Ama Ata Aidoo ‘On Writing Africa in the Short Story’” with Maureen Eke & Stephanie Newell, published in African Literature Today 31, James Curry Publishing, 2013.
- “Not Just for Children Anymore: Aidoo's The Eagle and the Chickens and Questions of Identity” in Essays in Honour of Ama Ata Aidoo at 70, edited by Anne V. Adams, Ayebia Clarke Publishing, Oxfordshire, UK, February, 2012.
- “Amma Darko” in The Dictionary of African Biography, edited by Emmanuel K. Akyeampong and Henry Louis Gates, Oxford University Press, 1st edition, New York and London, December, 2011.
- “Letter from America – Ghana: Democracy and Sustainable Development, An African Example” published in The New Legon Observer 10 April 2008, Vol. 2 No. 6.
- Broadening the Horizon: Critical Introductions to Amma Darko, edited by Vincent Odamtten, Ayebia Clarke Publishing, Oxfordshire, UK, 2007.
Appointed to the Faculty: 1999
Ph. D. in English, SUNY at Stony Brook
M.A., University of Cape Coast, Ghana
B.A., University of Cape Coast, Ghana