Dear Members of the Hamilton Community,
Hamilton’s senior staff met last summer to review the College’s diversity and inclusion efforts. We acknowledged the previous work done by many at the College, including the faculty hiring processes developed with Romney Associates. We also agreed that the importance of the work ahead requires renewed attention at the highest levels of the College. In her role as chief diversity officer, Vice President and Dean of Students Terry Martinez facilitated our discussion about how we can support Hamilton’s overarching diversity goals, which include:
- Increasing recruitment of historically underrepresented faculty, staff, and students
- Increasing retention of historically underrepresented faculty, staff, and students
- Fostering an inclusive climate
- Developing culturally competent faculty, staff, and students
Each vice president submitted plans for advancing these goals within their divisions. I am encouraged by each division’s efforts and am writing to share broad-based themes emerging from the progress made thus far. We are developing a website that will detail the work happening in each area and hope to have that in place by the end of the semester.
- Recruiting individuals from historically underrepresented communities remains a central focus in each of the College’s divisions. Enhanced outreach to targeted markets plays a key role in diversifying our pool.
- Increased training to guard against implicit bias (in interviewing, programming, teaching, and daily interactions) continues to develop and grow within each division
- Reviewing, assessing, and enhancing our internal processes and protocols to eliminate bias is underway in each area, with a special focus on initiatives that bring differing perspectives together, and ensuring that all students have access to various opportunities and experiences
- Removing financial barriers continues to be an important part of our efforts to ensure an equivalent educational experience inside and outside the classroom for all students.
Fostering a campus culture of diversity and inclusion takes care and ongoing attention. I’m grateful to all faculty, staff, and students who contribute formally and informally to ensuring Hamilton is a community in which all members can achieve their full intellectual, social, and moral capacities.