Barbara Gold, the Edward North Professor of Classics, attended the Liberal Arts College Classics Chairs Summit at Skidmore College June 21-23. The meeting of 31 classics chairs and directors was supported by Hamilton, along with Middlebury and Skidmore Colleges and the Classical Association of the Middle West and South.
Topics discussed by the leaders included:
- Recruitment of students and evolving demographics
- Curricular models
- Administration and staffing
- Public classics and articulating the discipline
- Internal and external collaboration
- Study away to enrich students’ education
- Student career planning and post-college trajectories
- Long-range strategic thinking
From the discussions, participants set several immediate and long-term goals aimed at helping to improve their work and to help expand the group to include other undergraduate institutions. They also plan to explore ways to mentor incoming and current department chairs and directors.