Skenandoa House Receives Architectural Award
The Cleveland Chapter of the American Institute of Architects has recognized the renovation of Skenandoa House with a merit award. EwingCole, the architectural firm responsible for the work, received the award for excellence in architectural design on Nov. 16.
Historic and environmental stewardship were powerful allies in the process used by the architectural firm to help Hamilton College make Skenandoa House a model for environmentally responsive residence hall renewal on campus. It is the first historical building in New York State reengineered to be officially certified for energy conservation. The 85-year-old residence hall, renovated in 2004, was awarded a Silver LEED (Leadership in Energy Conservation) Certification by the U.S. Green Building Coalition.
Built in 1922, the former Psi Upsilon chapter house was rededicated as Skenandoa House in 2004 in honor of the Oneida Indian chief and friend of Samuel Kirkland. In 1794 Kirkland founded the Hamilton-Oneida Academy that later became Hamilton College in 1812.
In addition to careful workmanship that restored the building's exterior to its original grandeur, the most notable feature is the use of "green" technology throughout. The renovations included an 18-well geothermal ground water heating and cooling system, individual thermostats in each room, energy efficient lighting, extensive building materials reuse and construction waste management. Skenandoa House is powered completely by Green Power (wind, biomass, small hydro).