Numerous academic support services are available to students through ALEX. Please familiarize yourself with these and let your advisees know about them as appropriate.

Academic Warnings

Advisors will be notified by email from Compass if one of their advisees receives an academic warning. Advisors are strongly encouraged to contact the student to find out why the student is having difficulty. Students receiving academic warnings in two or more courses will be contacted by the Associate Dean of Students (Academic) and/or their ALEX advisor. Faculty should send academic warnings through Compass when they observe that a student is struggling. 

Coaches and Extracurricular Advisors

Coaches and other extracurricular advisors are often helpful when a student is struggling academically. They usually know the student quite well, and advisors are encouraged to contact them if they think it would be helpful. You can find a student's success network in Compass.

Dean of Students Office

Students having serious difficulties in courses should be referred to the Associate Dean of Students for Academics (ext. 4600).

Disabilities (learning and physical)

Students seeking special arrangements will need to provide the Assistant Dean of Accessibility Resources with a recent evaluation conducted by a specialist in the appropriate field. It should include a specific diagnosis, information regarding onset, longevity and severity of symptoms, and information on how the disability and/or related medications and treatments interfere or limit any major life activity including participation in the courses, programs and activities of the college. Students can receive detailed information about accommodations by contacting  the Assistant Dean for Accessibility through the Accessibility Resources page.

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search