What should I do DURING an earthquake?
If you are INDOORS — STAY THERE! Get under a desk or table and hang on to it (drop and cover) or move into a hallway or against an inside wall.
- STAY CLEAR of windows, fireplaces, and heavy furniture or appliances.
- GET OUT of the kitchen, which is a dangerous place (things can fall on you).
- DON’T run downstairs or rush outside while the building is shaking or while there is danger of falling and hurting yourself or being hit by falling glass or debris.
If you are OUTSIDE — get into the OPEN, away from buildings, power lines, chimneys, and anything else that might fall on you.
If you are DRIVING — stop, but carefully. Move your car as far out of traffic as possible.
- DO NOT stop on or under a bridge or overpass or under trees, light posts, power lines, or signs.
- STAY INSIDE your car until the shaking stops.
- When you RESUME driving, watch for breaks in the pavement, fallen rocks, and bumps in the road at bridge approaches.