Year’s end is the occasion for many “best of” and “most read” news story compilations. Here’s a look at some of the most popular articles on Hamilton’s website in 2017.
- A piece by John Pitarresi ’70 detailing the outpouring of concern and support from the community for Professor Bob Simons as he battles cancer.
- President David Wippman’s statement on President Trump’s executive order concerning the entrance of refugees and immigrants into the United States.
- A report on a visit to campus by former U.S. army captain in Afghanistan Matt Zeller ’04, who gave a talk titled “No One Left Behind: A Bond Forged in Combat.”
- The announcement of Class and Charter Day’s student award winners.
- A feature story about Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker’s Commencement address.
- An announcement of the naming of new PGA-quality golf practice facility for Professor Bob Simon.
- The inaugural talk in the new Common Ground series, featuring Karl Rove and David Axelrod in October.
Our readers were also interested in a blog by Choir member Katherine (Kate) Brouns ’17 describing the group’s 10-day spring break tour to Italy. This year marked the retirement of long-time choir director Rob Kolb, who led the trip.
Rounding out our list was a report on the Hamilton Program in New York City’s lunch visit with Ashley Merriman ’98, chef at the popular Prune restaurant.
Of course, our readers were also drawn to stories about the difficult losses suffered at Hamilton this year, including the deaths of Professor of Music Sam Pellman, Isaiah Carpenter-Winch ’19, Annalise Curtis ’18, and Professor Tom Phelan.