The Hamilton College men’s soccer team recorded one of its biggest wins, rallying to beat defending national champion Tufts 2-1 in two overtimes Sunday at Love Field.

Spenser Heller ’17 scored the game-winning goal with just 3:40 left in the second extra session as the Continentals knocked off the Jumbos, ranked 12th in the latest national coaches poll.

Box score

Heller’s golden goal capped a rally that started when Hamilton tied the game on a penalty kick in the 82nd minute.

The winning goal came from a counterattack following a Jumbos corner kick. Killian Clancy '18 brought the ball down the left side and sent a cross to the right post that Jack Temko '18 played to the opposite side where a sliding Heller sent it into the net, setting off a wild celebration by the Continentals.

Hamilton (4-5-0, 2-4 NESCAC) hadn’t beaten a nationally ranked opponent since topping No. 21 St. Lawrence 2-1 Oct. 10, 2007.

Heller picked up the first goal of his collegiate career as the Continentals snapped a four-game losing streak to Tufts (5-3-1, 3-2-1).

Both goals in regulation came on penalty kicks. The Jumbos got on the board first; with 7:42 left in the half Connor Schaible was taken down in the box and awarded the penalty kick. His initial attempt was saved by Hamilton goalkeeper Harris Pollack ’17, but the try was waved off when the referee ruled that the try began after he began issuing a yellow card. Schaible, whose initial shot went right into a diving Pollack, sent his second try past Pollack’s right for his first goal of the season.

The Jumbos maintained the lead until the 82nd minute when Erich Marcks ’16 was awarded a penalty kick after being fouled in the box by Tufts goalkeeper Scott Greenwood. Marcks buried the attempt -- the first of his career -- to tie the game. The goal was the fifth of his career.

Greenwood made a key save in the 29th minute, leaping to push a close range shot by Alec Talsania '17 over the crossbar. The ensuing corner kick gave the Continentals another chance but a header by Eli Morris ’18 went wide.

The Jumbos -- whose winless streak was extended to three with the loss -- had the only real scoring opportunity the rest of regulation but a long shot by Tyler Kulscar off a restart went wide right with 12 seconds left.

Midway through the second extra session Tufts was awarded a corner kick that Rui Pinheiro sent in front of the Hamilton net. Sterling Weatherbie headed the ball wide of the net and the Jumbos were whistled for an offsides violation, setting up the Continentals’ winning effort.

Hamilton plays a non-conference game Tuesday, traveling to Ithaca for a 4:30 p.m. contest.

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search