Women's lacrosse wins overtime thriller at Wesleyan

Katie D'Antonio '14
Katie D'Antonio '14

Katie D'Antonio ‘14 scored her third goal of the game with 5.9 seconds left in overtime to lift nationally ranked No. 7 Hamilton College to an 11-10 win over Wesleyan University in a NESCAC game at Wesleyan’s Smith Field on March 11.

Hamilton played lacrosse in the Liberty League from 1996 to 2011, and this was the Continentals' first NESCAC win.

Rachel Friedman ’13 posted three goals and one assist for the Continentals. Libby Schultz ’12 and Madison Beres ’15 each scored twice, and Schultz added two assists. Kathryn Maiorano ’14 scored the other goal for Hamilton. Ashley Allen '12 was credited with an assist.

Lauren Brady ’14 caused four turnovers and Lauren Sokol ’12 caused three to lead the Continentals’ defense. Sokol and Josie Jones ’12 each scooped up four ground balls, and Friedman won four draw controls. Dewi Caswell ’14 made a career-high 10 saves.

Kaylin Berger led the Cardinals with four goals, and Liz Chabot added three. Madeline Coulter, Kayla Ellman and Leah Sherman scored the other goals. Ellman was credited with two assists, and Lydia Kring added one. Kring collected a game-high five ground balls, and Chabot won four draw controls. Maggie Drowica made 13 saves, including one in overtime.

Wesleyan (1-1 overall, 1-1 NESCAC) held a 7-4 advantage early in the second half before the Continentals rattled off the next four goals. Hamilton took its first lead with 16:44 left in the second half when Friedman found Schultz in front for a shot high into the net.

Wesleyan evened the score on a goal by Coulter with 15:28 to play. But Hamilton went ahead again just 14 seconds later when Friedman won the draw control and raced downfield to bounce in her second goal. The Continentals held the lead for the next 9 minutes, 12 seconds. Caswell passed almost half that time as she stood uncontested near her goal looking to start a clear.

Wesleyan eventually got the ball back, and Berger netted her fourth goal with 6:02 to play.  After knocking the ball free from Caswell's stick behind the Hamilton net and out-of-bounds, Berger outraced Caswell to the goal after the restart and tucked the ball into the net. There was no further scoring before the end of regulation, though Hamilton had the ball for the final 1:30 in the Wesleyan end without getting off a shot.

Hamilton (1-1, 1-1) struck first in overtime, winning the draw and setting up Freidman for her third goal 44 seconds into the period.  Wesleyan did the same to open the second three-minute overtime period, as Chabot collected the draw, raced towards the goal, and deposited a high bouncing shot just under the crossbar with 2:48 to play.

After Wesleyan failed to clear, Hamilton gained possession with 1:13 left.  The Continentals ran the clock down under 30 seconds before getting their offense in gear. Schultz got the ball behind the net and ran to the left side before finding a streaking D'Antonio, who ran a few steps into a crowd and sent a low shot into the net for the win.

Wesleyan had built a 4-1 lead by the 12:33 mark of the first half as Berger netted a pair along with goals by Sherman and Chabot. Friedman scored her first goal of the game to break up the Wesleyan surge. Hamilton then tied the score with three goals in a span of 4:20. The first two came from D'Antonio, and the third from Beres. Wesleyan scored the final two goals of the half for a 6-4 edge at intermission.

Hamilton held a 26-22 shot advantage, while Wesleyan held a 13-12 edge in draw controls. The Continentals were 4-for-8 on free position shots, and the Cardinals went 2-for-3. Hamilton won the only other meeting between the two programs in 1992 by a score of 14-6 in Florida.

Hamilton travels to Buffalo State College for a non-conference game on Thursday, March 15, at 4 p.m. Wesleyan hosts Eastern Connecticut State on Wednesday, March 14.

Back to Top